Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maps for my planned novel

This shape looks much better, but still you're very close to the edges with your landmass. I would definitely add some more space around the map. Some more islands could also do good. When I draw world maps I uasually try to look at earth for inspiration. That tend to give the structure of the world a convincing look.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

First of all I want to thank you all for the hints so far. I was definitaly looking for a feedback like that *thumbsup*

I`ve revised the shape of the continent now. I didn`t want to simply copy Ascension`s shape, but I used it for inspiration.

What are your thoughts about it now? I`m thinking of a few other changes, let`s see. Compared to my first shape, there are truly worlds between in the looks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thylis3.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	38399  
    Last edited by Kelron; 09-07-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Mucho better. Be careful about putting too many small islands around a big one haphazardly...they usually follow an underwater mountain chain sort of thing so there is a logic to their placement. But for now, looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Mucho better. Be careful about putting too many small islands around a big one haphazardly...they usually follow an underwater mountain chain sort of thing so there is a logic to their placement. But for now, looks good.
    Thanks!

Ok, another good point! I`ll keep that in mind for the next shape revision, before I`ll start with placing (fewer *lol*) mountains and (much more) rivers

UPDATE (I deleted the old post to avoid double posting):
    I`ve know revised the shape, rescaled it and fractialized the coasts for a better look.

Name:	Thylis4.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	38418  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin good, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks really good now. I'm looking forward to see some terrain on the map.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Yeah this is a very solid map outline so far Kelron.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Have to agree with the others, these latest shapes are a vast improvement and give things a bit more of a realistic feel. Looking forward to more as you progress through this map.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thank you, such comments are very encouraging!

I`ve printed a B/W-Version out and I`m playing with the placement of mountains and rivers with my pencil.

UPDATE:
    I`ve tried some different placements and I`ve quickly visualized my current favorite. The rivers will also get more Deltas, it`s just for the overview:

+ There are two basic mountain chains dividing the land and being natural borders
    + The human kingdoms are placed in the plains. Some hills, forests and lakes are there
    + The dessert is caused because there are the mountains on the right and it is surrounded by (foot)hills, which prevent the rivers reaching the inner region. A perfect placement for tough guys like the Orcs
    + On the upper right side of the chain, there is either a swamp or barren lands (what fits more in your oppinion?) There is a river as natural border to the forest section. If it`ll be a swamp, than there can the dark elves be found here, else the dwarves and more mountains.
    + The forest in the middle will have many river deltas and the "normal" elves
    + On the right side of the second chain, there should be a barren land. Maybe I`ll get rid of the barren land on the left side and replace it with more forests or foothills. There should be the highest peaks and also maybe some tough guys living in the snowy high regions.
    + The other islands aren`t really spectacular at this stage. At the moment I just want to have a volcanic island in the upper right region. The islands will be done afterwards

What do you think? Would a vegetation like that be belivable? Of course that`s all fantasy in the end, but still there are some rules made by the the nature itself

Name:	Thylis5.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	38449  
    Last edited by Kelron; 09-10-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo :(

It looks much better, but I have one question to raise. I'm not a climate expert, but I don't think a lot of foothills would stop the formation of rivers. Water flows downhill, so the only reason that area would become a desert is if it never rains on that side of the mountains. This is entirely possible if your prevailing winds there come from the south, and that would also fit with the forest being in the central area, as that side of the mountain range would get much more rain in that case. You can keep your desert there, but rather than having short rivers, you probably need to just have less rivers.

As I said, I'm no expert on this. So if somebody with more expertise disagrees then you should probably listen to them over me.

Looking good though. I look forward to seeing where you take this next.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast