Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maps for my planned novel

I'd switch the big forest and the big desert. Then, assuming this is temperate latitudes, you'd have your forest sort of in the position of Europe, getting rain from the winds blowing in off the western ocean. And those two big mountain ranges would have a rain shadow effect and block your desert from getting rain.

Thank you for the helpfull hints and nice words, I`ll give it another try

UDPATE:
    I`ve rearranged the mountain chain for a better placement of the dessert. I think I`ll place the chain more upwards near the swamp to get a bigger dessert. It will not immediately start as a dessert though, I want a barren scrubland slowly becoming a dessert.

Is this placement now more realistic?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thylis6.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	38478  

If this is a continent, that swamp is incredibly huge.

Also, you want to change the spelling to "desert", a very dry place. "Dessert" is cake, cookies, pie, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    If this is a continent, that swamp is incredibly huge.

Also, you want to change the spelling to "desert", a very dry place. "Dessert" is cake, cookies, pie, etc.
    A good point, thanks.

Ah, I see. That are the reasons, why I didn`t manage to get the best marks in english in my A-level *lol*

UPDATE:
    After various tries I`ve done a first mountainline. They have different colors for a better effect with the political borders afterwards. I drew a small basic line on another layer and tried to let the mountains follow it for a more realistic touch.

Name:	Thylis7.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	38550  

Not bad. You seem to be making progress on this. One suggestion I might offer, though, and you may already have it in the works, but the background color for the mountains on that island is a little dark and makes it hard to see the mountain icons. Perhaps lightening it will help them stand-out better. Other than that, it looks like you're on the right track.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Not bad. You seem to be making progress on this. One suggestion I might offer, though, and you may already have it in the works, but the background color for the mountains on that island is a little dark and makes it hard to see the mountain icons. Perhaps lightening it will help them stand-out better. Other than that, it looks like you're on the right track.

GW
    Thank you

I must admit, that I also don`t really like the look of the volcanic island too for the moment. It should be dark, but that is too dark and also consumes pretty much space. This is definitaly a subject to be changed

UPDATE:
    I`ve now added some rivers. I`ll have to edit the styleeffects for the marsh and also fix some rivers flowing in the sea.

Are the mountains and the rivers placed well, or should there be more or less?

Name:	Thylis8.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	385.2 KB 
ID:	38602  

I don't see anything technically incorrect regarding the rivers, but a few things look a bit odd. Near the top of the map, there are a few instances where rivers begin directly opposite each other on two different sides of a mountain range. It just looks too regular. There are also some rivers that flow parallel to a coast for quite a long way. Unless there are some hills between the river and the coast that block the river from joining the sea there, you tend to assume the steepest path downhill is more towards the coast than along it.

The mountains look good, though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123