Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am seriously bummed out

Default I am seriously bummed out

I just spent all evening working on a commission. I was finally becoming really happy with how it was going and had probably spent a solid not moving from my seat 3 hours when Gimp crashed. As the error messages bonked onto the screen I began to try to remember when I had last saved...

*pause for a couple deep breaths so I don't type any curse words*

Ah, I hadn't saved at all.... *pause again*

The end of the story is that I just went to the kitchen and made myself a stiff drink and now I think I'll go kill a pile of aliens or something to slough off some aggression. I am mad and depressed at the same time.

The worst part was I was just doing that one last thing before I closed out for the night nice and satisfied. AHHHHHGGGGG!!!!!

Don't forget to save, how many times do I have to say it to myself?! I want to kick something.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I understand how you feel. For me the best training in remembering to save my progress has been working in cc3. Because of it's constant crashes you have to save all the time. But loosing work because of a forgotten save is horrible.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    For me the best training in remembering to save my progress has been working in cc3. Because of it's constant crashes you have to save all the time. But loosing work because of a forgotten save is horrible.
    The main reason we dropped CC3 is that it doesn't fulfill our specifications at all. But if it had fulfilled our specifications, we probably still would have switched due to the instability of the program. However, that was in 2009, so it's quite possible that patches since then have cut down on its tendency to crash.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    The main reason we dropped CC3 is that it doesn't fulfill our specifications at all. But if it had fulfilled our specifications, we probably still would have switched due to the instability of the program. However, that was in 2009, so it's quite possible that patches since then have cut down on its tendency to crash.
    I think cc3 is great for some stuff. I mostly use it for city creation. When it comes to crashes I've noticed that 95% of the crashes comes when you zoom in or out. So I always hit save before trying to zoom.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Blog Entries

When I am working on stuff and I have been doing lots of things without a save I really really start to get the creeps. Its like I start to press each key stroke carefully etc. My threshold before this starts to come on is about a few minutes. This is especially true if doing art but I even get this when typing in code which in theory should be easier to repeat. So to go several hours of artwork would make me feel like I was standing on the high wire at the circus. In the old days we used to have computers with no hard drive and before the floppy you used to have to have a cassette recorder to back up a program. When the (very small) power lead used to wobble then it would crash the machine and wipe the RAM. There was a point in time when the computers had enough RAM - about 16K of it at the time but before the floppy disk - when you could spend a few hours typing in hex codes from a magazine to program the machine in machine code to play a half decent game. A crash during that period would wipe out several hours. I think I developed my creeps during those early days. Now that the HDD makes saving so easy I use it all the time.

You should have a play with MeshLab and do some 3D modelling. That program will crash every 30 seconds. Its amazingly poorly written even if it is doing some excellent processing and implementing some extremely useful stuff. Tho I grit my teeth against this one app, on the whole tho I avoid all crashing apps like the plague. I just cant bear it.

Just to hammer it home some more. I save often. I save with increasing number appended to the end. I.e. I don't keep saving over the top of an old version. And when you have done a few of them and what you have is worth something then copy the whole directory to another. It might be a waste of HDD space but its your time and effort here. If HDD space is worth more than your time then go an do something more worthwhile cos HDD space is cheap. A 5Mb map save is about 0.01 cents.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I feel your pain.

I was working on an illuminated celtic knotwork manuscript page (16x22 or thereabouts within the borders) with a lot of fine detail. I had the black and white work done, and I was about 1/3 done colouring it. I would guess I had put about 12 months of work into it at that point, on and off. Then my cat knocked over a glass of water on my table. oh, did i mention it was done on paper? No save, no backup, no undo. The inks were SUPPOSED to be colourfast/indelible/whatever it's called.. waterproof. Nope, they ran. the whole piece was destroyed. I haven't done any celtic art since, except for a few minor doodles. The way my wife describes my reaction is along the lines of "it broke your spirit".

I was able to scan the whole thing in and clean it up so it was B+W linework (and even messed around a bit with colouring in photoshop), but I never did get back to redoing it on paper. And then it was.. about 8 years before I took up any serious art of any sort (yay maps!).

Look on the bright side - you'll never forget "save early save often" again

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

InDesign saves automatically, but I do lots of work in photoshop, and there you have to remember to save now and then, also as a default it only has 20 undos. Then again, when I began using photoshop it didn't have an undo function and layers hadn't been invented yet. Back then you saved almost every time you made a stroke right *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

My ViewingDale saves on every change so there is no save button to keep pushing and there is a 10 level (I think) undo for child icon position, rotation and scale updates.

I think if people were to describe the way they work with different apps and how they maintain their work in the event of a crash that would be useful to know a) for other people using the software and also b) for app designers so that they can make sure their software will be easy to allow for these work flows.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I soooo feel the pain of a breaking spirit. My hard drive warped or got corrupted or something in July and I lost everything. I went all of August without the "oomph" I used to have. My new computer is not the elite gaming rig that I used to have, it's more of a general use home pc so it's way underpowered for what I'm used to. My Photoshop crawls along on even the most basic things and games are so slow as to be unplayable. I'm saving in PS after every step I complete successfully because I feel it's a major triumph to accomplish anything beyond file - open. So in a way, a crappy pc is teaching me to be more diligent than the super computer I used to have. All I can say in the way of encouragement is this: it does come back. You get the itch eventually and you just gotta do something to scratch it. How long it takes to come back varies for the individual and mine is slowly coming back (been fiddling in PS for about a week now after a month of nothing). Steel lost his mojo and hasn't got it back yet and it's been like 2 years...poor guy. But at least you still have a pc to play with and it will take a few days or weeks of cursing under your breath and the thought of mapping stops making you feel disgusted but it goes away. Killing aliens or zombies for a week helps to settle the bile but nothing scratches the itch like a well done map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well after a nights sleep I do feel a little better.

Normally I do what you guys do and save often but when I get really absorbed making art I tend to hyper-focus and time goes out the window. This was one of those sessions. It would be nice if there was an auto save feature where you could save to a temp file just in case. I wouldn't want it to save over my actual file. I can do that myself but an autosave file would be perfect. Not sure how that would function if you were in the middle of running a filter when it hit however.

RobA?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast