Thread: How do I work out my planet's climate?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Haha. It's rare that visitors have good things to say about Bracknell, although the area is pretty nice.

That map actually wasn't finished. I needed to do the masking at some point. After trying to make the world more believable, I'm completely stumped. I think I'll just use that one as a prototype and start a new world. Right now I have this one, which I've made some changes to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baktarios 007.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	38382

How could it be improved?

I realise it's still too mountainous so I'd like to create some plains and plateaus. Some nice swamps and lake regions would be awesome too.

I saw this tutorial, which looks great. But I don't want to create a recently-thawed post-ice age planet. How would I teach myself the skills used in that.

I'm happy to keep working on it to get a realistic world with a realistic climate before I go into regional mapping now.

EDIT: Thanks for all that info atlasilvapuer! It seems I need to start right at the bottom and work my way up. I have sketched out my tectonic plates. I'll superimpose them on the image above so people can see if I'm on the right track.
    Last edited by laevex_esre; 09-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.