Thread: How do I work out my planet's climate?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In my signature is my first attempt at the same sort of project you're now working with. With Geidor, I tried to actually go a little crazy whole-hog as a learning experience and planned out rough tectonics (and mountains as a result), surface ocean currents, prevailing winds, and the resulting climates. It's a bit of leg-work, but I found that doing it once helps you to simplify and speed the steps a little more in subsequent ones. I'm here only very infrequently, these days, and haven't even posted the other two maps I've worked on (one in the style of Geidor, and one in the style of Tilt's fantastic Saderan). I tried to go into some decent explanation, but mostly referenced the work of two others before me: Karro and Korba. Both of them explained their processes quite well as well.

If the three of them combined still leave you with questions, just let me know and I'd be glad to go a little more into depth on my own reasonings.

-asp

EDIT: I almost forgot! Geoff's Climate Cookbook and Worldbuilding guide are invaluable, but sadly down from the web. I think they're up on the WebArchive somewhere around here; let me look..
    Okay, it seems the Cookbook is not on the Wayback Machine, but the Worldbuilding guide is. I, however, seem to have a copy of the htm for the Cookbook that I or someone else pulled before it vanished. If you want it, PM me and I'll try to get it to you somehow.

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 09-07-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    EDIT: I almost forgot! Geoff's Climate Cookbook and Worldbuilding guide are invaluable, but sadly down from the web. I think they're up on the WebArchive somewhere around here; let me look..
    Okay, it seems the Cookbook is not on the Wayback Machine, but the Worldbuilding guide is. I, however, seem to have a copy of the htm for the Cookbook that I or someone else pulled before it vanished. If you want it, PM me and I'll try to get it to you somehow.
    Just an FYI for posterity (or as long as links last on the Internet, anyway): Google reveals the Climate Cookbook and Worldbuilding Guide are still online at http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/bricka/.