Thread: CC3 Crashing in Vista

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm still running CC3 on a WinXP machine so I haven't tried this, but I seem to recall reading on the CC Users Group mailing list that if you install on Vista, things go a lot smoother if you install the program as an administrator (or whatever the Vista equivalent of that is).
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

I don't think it really matters where else you put it, so long as it's not in a system directory. There's something odd about the way Vista treats Program Files, though, that messes with some pieces of software. I install most programs on a separate drive in order to enhance performance.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I know I'm running as administrator, both when I install it and run it, so no issues there. I went ahead and created a new folder, C:\ProFantasySoftware and re-installed to there. SO far (knock on wood) I'm not getting random crashes from little things like changing symbol catalogs and clicking the scroll bar as I was before. However, 100% of the time, without fail, it will crash if I try to Save As any type of image format (JPG, BMP, etc) if it needs to make more than one rendering pass. If it's a small image file, say an output of only 800x600, it seems to work fine. But anytime it has to make more than one pass, it crashes. So my initial reaction is that changing the install location has had an effect, but it doesn't seem to have 100% solved the issue.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far!

ps-I put in a tech request with ProFantasy, no reply yet.

Hmmm... My next guess would be not enough RAM, then. I've noticed that CC3 uses a lot of resources when rendering large exports, and Vista's not very good at sharing.

Sorry I can't be more help. I hope PF can solve it for you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Like Jaerdaph, I also run my CC3 on an XP machine, not Vista. This sounds like the kind of technical issue you should take to the CC Yahoo group. The developers and lot more techy people hang out there, and I am sure you will get some help there with this issue.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/cc2-l/
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave