Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March Entry: Not Your Father's Random Dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    This is looking fantastic! Wow--nice work.

Two things, however, throw me off: 1) the very hard edges of the walls; I'd fix that somehow to look less geometric, for it clashes with the rough stone feel; 2) the thin walls! Surely there's something we can do about those, even though in the original map? They just look ridiculous and inexplicable.

Great job.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what I can do about the thin walls without corrupting the original layout, but the thicker walls should be easy enough to fix.

Thanks again!

-IG

Perhaps you could use a different material for the thin walls, perhaps wood. You could probably justify eight inches for a wood partition(which would be quite stout), in an area where hewn stone walls would make no sense.

Speaking of wood, the grain on that table is quite out of scale, making the table look tiny. While a realistic depiction of wood grain at 10-feet-to-the-inch scale wouldn't be very appealing, a smaller grain might help.

Also, while the referee might rule against you, there is no way you can corrupt this dungeon layout more than the random number generator already has.

Blog Entries

Yup, I'll buy that as i'm going for a wood planked wall. I cant justify how to create it any other way ! I wouldn't see how this is any way against the spirit or map. It doesn't say or indicate in any way what its made of. I was toying with the idea of using all ice blocks and ice sheets but heck I couldn't be bothered with this map.

Yes, those thin walls could be anything. I was even thinking it was originally a large, caverous room, but then wood walls were erected to support a crumbling ceiling--this explaining some of the pattern oddities. (I really like that ice idea, though, Redrobes!!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I haven't done anything with the walls yet; not sure if I will. I've been working on some of the features though. Here's an update:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon contest copy.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	2606  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Beautiful, you're really capturing the atmosphere! Fabulous use of colour and light!

And the doors really rock too!
    Thank you. I know this seems like a cheesy competition to some people, but I'm really learning some things by participating; doing things I'd never thought about before. I never imagined I'd contemplate the best way to draw a pile of poo!

I guess the most challenging part for me is trying to find some logical way of putting the random items together. That's how I came up with room #2--the carving of the actual dungeon map on the table, done with the utensil.

The scale of the boxes is WAY off though, so I'm going to have to go back and fix that.

A hidden benefit to this challenge. The seed is so absurd that no one feels like they have to make a work of art. I have noticed that there are more entrants this month than in the past, and it's only 6 days in.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Another small update..

Views:	93 
ID:	2634  

I believe this is about as done as it's going to get. I hope it's enough for my first attempt.

Views:	140 
ID:	2728  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12