Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CC3 - Help a New Enthusiast to Create an World Map

Then best of luck and, most importantly, fun

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

I will put the new version of my map here and lests continue from there! =)

NEW VERSION ON POST #1.
    Last edited by Mateus090985; 02-05-2012 at 01:11 PM.

So, a little update. I put in in a Equirectangular Projection. I also made visible some lines, I continued to work on the second continent and I rearranjed all landmasses for the new projection.

Attachment 41953

Blog Entries

A compass rose, scale bar, and Platee Carre over a whole globe don't go together A flat global map without interruptions won't have a consistent scale, and it isn't going to preserve compass bearings. Also it doesn't show any of the distortion Platee Carre would produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    A compass rose, scale bar, and Platee Carre over a whole globe don't go together A flat global map without interruptions won't have a consistent scale, and it isn't going to preserve compass bearings. Also it doesn't show any of the distortion Platee Carre would produce.
    Thanks for your comments Hai-Etlik. I am very new to mapping and I do it only for my personal RPG games. So I dont know much about "real" carthography. What I want is a belivable world that I can easily point things to my players and tell then how much time it will cost then to travel from one place to the other. Thats why I need a scale. I cant understand why a compass rose isnt apropriate for this kind of map and I dont know what distortions you are talking about. I made a little web search about Plate Carre but I still dont know what you are talking about... =)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    Thanks for your comments Hai-Etlik. I am very new to mapping and I do it only for my personal RPG games. So I dont know much about "real" carthography. What I want is a belivable world that I can easily point things to my players and tell then how much time it will cost then to travel from one place to the other. Thats why I need a scale. I cant understand why a compass rose isnt apropriate for this kind of map and I dont know what distortions you are talking about. I made a little web search about Plate Carre but I still dont know what you are talking about... =)
    Plate Carree (Sorry, I misspelled it before) is the Normal Tangent case of Equidistant Cylindrical/Equirectangular, which is what you seem to be using. With a cylindrical projection, the map is notionally wrapped around the globe. Normal means it's in line with the axis, and tangent means it's just touching the surface rather than cutting through. So a normal tangent projection is wrapped around the equator. You can have equidistant cylindrical/equirectangular projections that have other axes or which cut through the globe. This might seem odd but there are reasons for using "transverse", "oblique", and "secant" projections.

Now consider how long is the equator. Then consider, how long is the top edge of the map. The top edge of the map is the north pole, a single point. This projection is stretching out east-west distance everywhere but the equator, and as you approach the pole, the stretching approaches infinity. That's why a scale bar doesn't work. It's also why the map should look distorted as, if it is in this projection, the shapes should be stretched out east-west, with the stretch getting stronger as you approach the poles.

Look at the islands of northern Canada in these two maps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eq...jection_SW.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...jection%29.svg

The first is in Normal Tangent Equidistant Cylindrical, the second is in Orthographic centred on North America (roughly what you'd see from very high up). You need that distortion in the map, otherwise you are distorting the land itself the other way so that everything gets pinched toward the poles. This is the main reason this projection is used is that it's easy, because it's really ugly and distorts both area and angles significantly.

Now, consider if there were giant compasses on the ground so that they would be visible on the map. They would be stretched too. Because the stretching is in line with the cardinal directions, they remain the same, but all other directions get skewed, and the amount they get skewed varies with where on the map you are. So northwest near the equator would be half way between north and west, but up in the arctic, it would be much closer to west (on the map). Some projections manage to keep the compasses the right shape, but rotate them. and these projections are called "Conformal". There is one conformal projection that doesn't rotate them, and it is called Normal Mercator.

Roughly, what Mercator does is that it adds a north-south stretch equal to the east-west stretch, so everything gets bigger in all directions as you get closer too the poles. It was designed for marine navigation when all we had compasses but couldn't measure distance very accurately. As the east-west distortion approaches infinity, so must the north-south distortion, so the projection never reaches the poles, it just keeps going and going north and south.

A compass rose is a way of saying "compass bearings on this map are true" the same way a scale bar says "distances are true" And like a sscale bar, it indicates what the relationship is. A scale bare shows a distance and tells you what that distance is in real life, a compass rose shows directions and what they are in real life. So a compass rose should only ever appear on a map that is in Normal Mercator, or on a map which covers a small area in a suitable projection.

Likewise, a scale bar should generally only appear on a map that covers a fairly small area because all projections distort scale. About the only way around this is with interruptions, which amount to "tears" in the map like in the Goode Homolosine projection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Go...jection_SW.jpg

I have a lot to think about... I will continue to draw the landmasses and see what I do with the projection latter. I am using CC3 and have access to FT3 but the last one is a little too hard for me to use well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    I have a lot to think about... I will continue to draw the landmasses and see what I do with the projection latter. I am using CC3 and have access to FT3 but the last one is a little too hard for me to use well.
    Well, a lot of people here at the guild ignore this stuff entirely but if you want to get it right, you need to deal with it at the beginning. It's not something you can apply a filter to and get a corrected result pop out. There are sometimes ways to fudge things and make it work after the fact, but it isn't always possible and it's often a lot of work.

Here is an updated version. I am almost done with the continets and principal islands. The lines are only for reference, so I have a better notion of sun incidence.

Attachment 42034

I am really puting a lot of work on it as I am still a "novice" in mapmaking =).

Now I want to move to the relif. I dont want to use mountain symbols, so I am thinking in trying the CA24 - Shaded Relief. Do I have to use it in conjunction with Height Contours? Is it a lot of "work intensive"?
    Last edited by Mateus090985; 02-07-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Here is what I am plaining for my reliev. I tryed some colour combination and have come with this. I will use a diferent shhet for each countour (I will do then in intervals of 500 m for this map). I am using the same Texturize in the countour that I use for the landmass and I am also using a Edge Fade Inner (edge 5 / inner opacy 95%).

Attachment 42098

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast