Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy region for new D&D campaign

Wip Fantasy region for new D&D campaign

hello guys, this is my latest project for a new world in my next D&D campaign, i'm satisfied of the result but i don't know which style to use for locations (town, castles, etc..) and roads.
    Please give me your opinions! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	70835

I think this map is very nice! I like the a lot of the coloring you did, the way you used the brushes, and the textures you used.

So a few problems I have with this map; The small mountain range near the upper right side of this map seems to be colored different than all the other mountain ranges, I don't know if you did this on purpose or not but I thought that I would point out that it looks a little odd to me. Also the biggest island has blue looking trees, and the texture on that island looks a little discolored, if you did this on purpose and there is reason behind it I see no problems with the colors. There are a few of your rivers that look like you took a brush to try and create a look of running water but its a little blotchy at spots, I would take a blur tool and try to soften that so it's not so sharp. Also The texture you added to your lake looks a bit odd to me.

As far as your city icons go I think that of the styles you used the one I like the most are the red silhouetted towers with the slight inner glow to them. I like the dotted roads better than the lines, they might look a little better if you used a different color like dark brown but that is just my opinion on that. The only other thing I saw was that there is a faint line up in the icy region where it looks like a hard brush stroke, I would also blur that line a little.

Those are just my personal opinions, If you feel like acting on them take away from your map in your opinion DO NOT feel like you need to change it for me. I think you have created a beautiful map as it it.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Wow. This map is great!
    I am assuming the blue trees are purposeful. They are such a unique color to be a mistake....unless you flattened that island into one layer and changed the colors all together. I think the shading in the rivers looks very nice. I think the lower rivers don't portray that as well as the Northern rivers do. The shading is great, and I love you mountains and trees. As far as symbols and text goes. The symbols kinda of clash a bit, just because they are saturated images with a bright glow to them. I think if you darkened the icons a bit, and made the glow a little more subtle.
    Keep the same thing in mind with Text, adding a nice soft glow effect really helps it stand out, against dark colors.
    But seriously great map! Great contribution to the site. Take some REP

Cheers
    Capt.JH

Hi! Thank you so much for such a detailed comment! I have really appreciated!

-The small mountain range on the upper side of the map has a blue shade because there is a reason for it ( it should be kind of a magical place)
    -The trees on the bigger island are blue for a similar reason (it's an elven island) but as you said, the texture needs a retouch
    -Rivers and Lakes are WIP so i appreciate your advice, I'll work on them too.
    -I agree with you about the roads, and i'll try dark brown for the dots, and before choosing icons'style i will try your tip to see how it looks.
    -Icy region transition and sea are WIP too, thank you for pointing it out.

I will post my progress here, and opinions like yours are always welcomed!

Hello! here's another WIP (almost done)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP4.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	70912

Things to review:
    -Lakes
    -Island trees
    -North coast
    -Cliff on the left

Upcoming:
    -Nations Crests
    -Hexagon or squared frame (for distances)
    -Compass
    Last edited by Tom; 02-16-2015 at 03:55 PM.

beautifull map!

Looking really good! I think those icons work quite well, I really like how you did the ruins! All the things I mentioned early look a lot better.

Banned User

This is really a nice map! Since you asked for review, I'll give you a few thoughts, but overall I really like it.

1. North Coast .... shouldn't the islands north of the ice line have ice on them?

2. Lakes .... I only see one lake and one wide spot in a river, but they look fine.

3. Island trees .... well, blue is strange, but otherwise they look like trees.

4. Cliff on the left .... I may save this as a guide to how to draw a cliff, but it does have too sharp an edge. Cliffs don't erode totally vertical, the edge should be rougher and more irregular. Same with the vertical lines, too regular.

5. Rivers .... the branch river in the far northeast meanders too much through the hills. Rivers in mountainous or hilly terrain tend to flow fairly straight because the terrain tends to slope more. Meanders happen on very flat plains where the river gradient is quite small.

Minor stuff, hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    This is really a nice map! Since you asked for review, I'll give you a few thoughts, but overall I really like it.

1. North Coast .... shouldn't the islands north of the ice line have ice on them?
    Yes it should, I will fix it

2. Lakes .... I only see one lake and one wide spot in a river, but they look fine.
    I never know how to paint lakes, should i treat them like sea (and then use the same texture/color schemes) or like rivers? I usually follow a middle path

3. Island trees .... well, blue is strange, but otherwise they look like trees.
    That's the point of blue trees , but i should I should make the borders more visible

4. Cliff on the left .... I may save this as a guide to how to draw a cliff, but it does have too sharp an edge. Cliffs don't erode totally vertical, the edge should be rougher and more irregular. Same with the vertical lines, too regular.
    You are right, i wish to recreate a landscape like this, with low or no vegetation on the top of the plateau, and a green valley on the lower side (like in the pixar movie UP!):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mount-roraima-thesuiteworld-cliff-waterfalls.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	442.3 KB 
ID:	70946

5. Rivers .... the branch river in the far northeast meanders too much through the hills. Rivers in mountainous or hilly terrain tend to flow fairly straight because the terrain tends to slope more. Meanders happen on very flat plains where the river gradient is quite small.
    Lol! i thought it was the opposite! thank you very much!!

I like the texture and the colour!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast