Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idea for Hex-based Wilderness Map Geomorphs

Here's another update showing progress made in building out an initial set of basic geomorphs. I will try and build an example map out of these as soon as possible, but hopefully this image illustrates the concept I mentioned in my last post ( i.e. there are lots and lots of geomorph to be created.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexes.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	38672  

Guild Journeyer

They look good. I am however wondering if you've made the task bigger than it needs to be though. You seem to have lots that are equivalent by rotation. The first two coasts after the swamp, for example, seem the same.

In terms of things not included, I think a forest-mountain transition is definitely warranted. (You could probably get away without separate hill forest since they'll look much the same.
    I am a geology nerd.

Yes, you are absolutely right, there are lots of items that are simple rotations ( 6 rotations per set ) on a basic geomorph. There are two major reasons for this, this project is for on-screen use and i won't be printing these out and cutting them out. And these hexes lock together perfectly pixel-by-pixel. The top two angled sides are slightly different from the bottom two angled sides by a few pixels. I simply have not found a way to create a "true" hex-shape in which all the angled sides have the exact same pixels on the edges. ( a 45 degree angled pixel line can do this, but a 60 degree angled line is harder to do.)

It is kinda hard to explain, hope my description makes some sense. if anyone knows how to solve this problem let me know. Thanks : )

Guild Adept

could not you do the hexes as vectors? That way a 60 degree line should stay 60 degree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muddle View Post
    I simply have not found a way to create a "true" hex-shape in which all the angled sides have the exact same pixels on the edges. ( a 45 degree angled pixel line can do this, but a 60 degree angled line is harder to do.)
    Well first, my ViewingDale app would do these hexes with rotations that would keep the edges intact. Secondly tho, if you wanted to use any kind of paint package just run the rotations at a higher res. Up sample them to say 5x original, do the 60 deg rotation and then down sample them again and it should be near perfect.

Interesting software Redrobes... but I run a mac computer, not a windows pc : (

Attached is a quick composition to show the hexes combined into something more map-like. I think doing this was a really good exercise, as I now see several things I would like to change. I think the grass lands are too brightly colored and too repetitive in their pattern, and I am still not happy with the mountains. I am thinking of redoing those mountains entirely.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hex-comp.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	38704  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12