Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central and Eastern Cyro'bar - For my novel - (help will be dearly appreciated)

Guild Novice

Yeah - the continental shelves were just added very quickly - wasn't happy with them... I might have a play see if I can get them to work, but they're always easy to remove. Will have to import those layers now...

Awesome, thanks.

And I'd rather not have continental shelves on the map at all, actually.

Finally got it to upload:
    Last edited by Rhotherian; 09-18-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Guild Novice

Here you go with version 2

Shelves removed, other layers added... I went with red on the settlements and roads as it helped make them stand out, but they can be changed in a matter of minutes. I also put a slight bevel on the settlements to help them 'stand up' from the terrain. I also had to move some of the mountains from the previous version to make the rivers work properly. Finally I've separated lakes from the sea - the darker blue of the sea wasn't standing out in land, but the lighter blue of the rivers does, so I moved them to that layer. There may be some that are current lakes that you want to be part of the sea, difficult for me to tell, but let me know any you want to change over and that can be done (though it affects multiple layers so is a bit trickier than e.g. the colour changes for roads). I've toned down the colours for the country borders - but they can be brightened again fairly easily - i just thought that the current level was visible without being obtrusive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Second Draft.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	38603

You are awesome!

Only three things:
    -Would you mind cutting away the black lines of the borders where they cut over lakes and (if it looks better) rivers? Also, the borders in the ocean aren't needed anymore, as the islands are coloured.
    -Then, the previously cyan and green nations look too simmilar in colour, as does the yellow and previously lime-green nations. Would you mind changing the colours of the previously green, lime-green and cyan nations to something closer to their original shades? The others are pretty much fine. Except for that tiny spot with the capitol on it that used to be white - I'd like that to be white again, please. (If it helps, I can post the nation colours as seperate layer-pics. )
    -Finally, would you mind applying the/colour texture you used on the lakes to the edges of the sea (including at islands)? I think this will make the sea look better and also solve the issue of some lakes looking like sea and some sea looking like lakes.

Again, thank you very, very much for doing this. I owe you big-time! ^^

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's very nicely looking but what bothers me is that the elevation basically increases with distance from the shorelines, this is not how real-world tectonics work. Not usually, anyway, there are exceptions (Hymalayas and Alps come to mind) but those crunch zones are pretty rare. I know this is probably a FT artifact, but anyway, I thought I'd mention it.

I know, but this particular continent was formed by the merging of six smaller landmasses. There are coastal subduction zone mountains ranges on the planet, but very few appear on this particular part of the world (but there are a few, if you look close. Pay special attention to those two large paninsulas to the north and a bit of the mid-southern shore).

Guild Novice

Third Draft

Changes as follows:
    Mountains - I had to move a couple as I realised there were a couple of roads going over the highest points of mountains instead of the nearby passes... so a few tweaks there.
    Colours - brought back the vibrancy, and added the colour to the coastline - also brightened the deeper oceans to go with it - with everything else brighter the darker oceans looked out of place.
    Borders - easy to move them (move border layer below the river layer... easy)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Third Draft.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	38630
    Last edited by Goblyns Hoard; 09-20-2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: duplicated image

Awesomeness!! A thousand thank-yous!! ^^

As far as I can tell, it's perfect! Now I just need to label it...

I'm definitely gonna give you credit in the novel. I seriously owe you for this! ^^

Edit: Actually, there is one thing. Would you mind removing the pink nation to the west? I left that in by accident. I still want the borders and such, I just don't want that region to be coloured. I'm gonna label it "Unexplored Area" (due to mountainousness and coldness).
    Last edited by Rhotherian; 09-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Guild Novice

Finally managed to get the upload to work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fourth Draft.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	38944  
    Last edited by Goblyns Hoard; 10-05-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks. However, it seems that a lot of layers have dissapeared: The lighter blue that outlined the shorelines, the shorelines, the border lines and the Arctic Circle and Equator...

I could probably just carefully select and copy that part you removed from pink from and past in onto the previous draft and just paste that part of the original border line layer over it to fix whatever was damaged in the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast