Thread: Kickstarter for Blackstar Games Shadowlands

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hmmmmm... looks good of course, but I had hoped to find a little more info about the contents, especially the magic system - love magic systems (one of the reasons I also love Brandon Sanderson's books )
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi Tilt,

This is our first publication, which is why the Kickstarter is so important for us, so we haven't put anything out about the magic system as yet. However, you can listen to an Actual Play podcast here (http://trollitc.com/2011/10/actual-p...inder-setting/) which has some in game examples of the magic system. The magic system mechanically is more or less like the standard Pathfinder system, with some heavy mechanics alteration and more importantly (for us) social alteration. The _idea_ of the magic system is based upon a complicated behind the scenes idea of multiple Artificial Intelligences, nanocites in spellcasters (which they don't know about), and a kind of information network involving probability theory and quantuum theory. This is also invisible to the character (and often to the player) but is important as part of the world story background (for higher level characters). Because we wanted magic to take a back seat to social and scientific realism, there are restrictions on casting certain spells, or there are spin off affects for different spell caster. So we've created a system not unlike the old 2E Wild Magic to help us fit the mechanics in with the story.

I know that's not much of an introduction but hopefully it helps whet your appetite for the world! We've developed an enormous world and these are only the first modules and supplements. Our hope is that if these are successful, I will give us enough money to continue working and developing future supplements and eventually a Player's Guide.

If you feel so inclined, we'd love it if you could help spread the word! http://kck.st/qOP9Re