Thanks for the rep ... I fear I'm so new here, I'm just slowly realising it has something to do with the little sherrif stars on the posts and such . Also thanks for all the nice comments, they really give some much needed motivation ... for example when you plan on spending a few hours ... umm ... stippling. For example.

I have to admit, my thumb is starting to cramp from all the details and stippling, fortunately that's mostly all done. I scanned in some extra details at 900 dpi so I have enough resolution to work and resize at will (the original is app. 10,000 x 7,500 pixels) ... and realised I'd left far too little room for the legend, the title, the compass and fings like that. After some fiddling, I gave up and expanded the canvas, adding a few hundred pixels more at the top (which also meant I had to draw a bit more coast, but I cheated a bit and did that on the Wacom). I had to fiddle around a bunch of the texts as well and added a few digitally, just to make it seem like I didn't forget some things.

Next step: colour. First I'll probably colour natural features a dark green-brown and water features a dark blue, to differentiate them from political features (black) and give each of those its own level. Then I'll add a wash layer to get basic terrain colours and another layer for the water. Finally, I'm going to add shading to the political borders. I'll probably go for flat coloring for those with a lightly feathered inner edge and use some old-school pinks, yellows, sky-blues and light greens ... or something. Let's see how it goes ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svetopetrograjska_v3_2000.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	789.9 KB 
ID:	39144