Thread: New Royal Tank Corps game-map.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Thanks for the input! I think I am pretty much done with the map, so I dont know now if I will make any more changes. Let me answer some of the things you covered.

1. The trench lines on the board is nothing more than eye candy and mean nothing at all. Ditto for the woods.

2. True enough about the font. That one was hard to find. I did try a old typewriter font but it wasnt clear enough. I could always see about finder a better one.

3. The black squares on the old map are areas that stop line-of-site tracing for artillery. I replaced them with three brown triangles, which I had hoped would look a bit like stylized hills or high-ground. Guess that wasnt as clear as I had hoped!

4. Interesting that you found the sector lines too dominant. The original map i posted is actually one where someone had gone over them with a hightligher; one of the key gripes of the original map when if first came out was that it was too hard to see the sector lines. So maybe I went a bit too far "the other way", for game clarity, although I they work for me just fine.

5. Agreed that the half moon symbols (supply areas) and the red stars too for that matter (the end-of-game victory point areas) probably need less saturation.

I was planning on tweaking the map one more time, as the charts in the middle left are a bit too small. I originally wanted them to hold the game turn by game turn reinforcements, but they are just a bit too large, so the chart itself needs to be 10-20 percent larger. I will mostly likely look at redoing a few other bits as well, and will keep all this in mind when I do.

Oh and BTW, this is just a project I started for myself, because I hated the orignal map so much. Once its done I will probably post it somewhere like BoardGameGeek.com, but I would be surprised if more than a 1/2 doz people will ever use it. And thats just fine!

BTW, here is a couple of low res. images of the game map under a sheet of plexiglass and with the counters setup for turn one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	39292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3135.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	39293