Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop: Using Paths to create textured walls -or- why I hate bevels

Is there a possibility of getting screen shots for post 3 and up? i'm still struggling with the steps.

Thank you

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Same here. I got the paths but I can't replicate the steps when the walls become darker, floor desaturated, etc. The part where you pick a large size brush and click enter doesn't generate a big outline either. I'm gonna try to create a layer for the walls and one for the floor instead and try out some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Same here. I got the paths but I can't replicate the steps when the walls become darker, floor desaturated, etc. The part where you pick a large size brush and click enter doesn't generate a big outline either. I'm gonna try to create a layer for the walls and one for the floor instead and try out some things.
    Me as well, I can't seem to figure out just how he got it to work.

My attempt:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	experiment-1.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	66357
    Last edited by Niven81; 08-06-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Is there anything close to that on GIMP?

EDIT: I am sorry for raising this thread from the ashes.

I haven't completely tried it... but theoretically you could do everything in GIMP exactly as described here. There are no super-special PS filters used in this method. Some things - like the colour jitter - might be a little more complicated to activate in GIMP, but they can be done.

I have to find some time to spare and try it out.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Info

I gave it a try on GIMP 2.8. Some of the things that are different:

1. "Grungy" brushes: you have to do a search and find some good brushes for GIMP
    2. I generated the background using the Plasma Cloud/Desaturate/Grain extract technique to generate parchment like things.
    3. Layer Groups: They exist, but you can't apply a mask to it, so I ended skipping that and adding a mask to each of the new layers
    4. Jitter and random sizes are possible, just create a new brush dynamic and use random size, color and etc
    5. Pressing enter to stroke a path isn't a thing on GIMP, but you can go to the path dialog and select "Stroke". If you click the option to use a brush, it will use the current brush settings (so you can set the brush options and then stroke the path)
    6. Adjustment layers don't exist on GIMP. I used a technique I saw on a blog: create a duplicate, desaturate it and change the opacity to apply it... Works, more or less.

This is the result:

Probably can use a better brush to do the shading, but I was satisfied by the first try. If someone wants I can post the .xcf file somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123