Thread: March Entry: Ran Dum's Deadly Dungeon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Map

Ran Dum's Deadly Dungeon and Legend...

The foul wizard Ran Dum is the adventurer's bane. For centuries he has created and placed seemingly chaotic and illogical dungeons filled with all manner of traps, beasts and denizens. Here, he strikes again:

Room 1 features Himool the elf warrior and his quarters. complete with an altar, weapons rack, training dummy, desk, sleeping mat and rug.

Room 2 lairs a nasty krenshar, previous meals left lying in the corner along with some gear. A giant stone table of Dwarven make and a large bas relief of a beholder are the other major dominant characteristics.

Room 3 contains boxes and some spices as well as a particular large heap of dung that currently houses a baby otyugh. A small altar and water basin line the eastern wall and an ancient and faded summoning glyph dominates the central floor. (Perhaps even Ran's summoning circle?)

Room 4 is complete with a few spiders that have nested in the north-eastern corner of the room. An empty coffin sits to make adventurers sweat a little... a large table with a complete set of nasty devices such as a saw, knife, cleaver, hook, shears and oddly enough; a tray with a dining set of utensils. A cage sits in the SW corner with manacles fixed to the wall and a foreboding message is scrawled on the floor.

Room 5 is where the formian blacksmiths pound away at the forge. A Giant's skull dominates the room and has been converted into a full blown forge with a large pillar in the center that acts as a chimney. A coal bin in the back to feed the forge and raw ore nearby to the west of the forge keep the formians busy, busy, busy.

And that pretty much covers this month's challenge entry for me. Unless someone points out something I may have forgotten or has a suggestion. The map was completely done by hand with pen and ink (koh-i-noor 6x0, 00, 0, 1) on a 10"x10" piece of sketch pad. And yes, my hands hated me for that thatch work but I love to do it, so I told my hands to just deal and keep moving

Happy Mapping!!

P.S. The third thumbnail is a png if you don't mind the file size to view it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full-Dungeon-Scan_Final.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	2816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon-Map-Legend.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	2817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full-Dungeon-Scan.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	2818  

I really don't play D&D (or the like) ::duck!:: but this is a neat little map. It's one of the best hand-drawn ones I've seen, and I really like the details you've put in. Very nice work!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Playing D&D is not required to appreciate a map made for D&D. Thank you for the high regard, I'll try and make a not so random map by hand in the near future. But making a random map like this was fun. I'm glad the effort I put forth is admired so highly