Thread: Real Life Shadow Calculations - anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Niiiice, thanks ... the angle of the roof will actually be close to the same, as I want to raise the walls as well, but that shouldn't really make much difference since the top will be at the same height.
    My town wasn't on the list, but I picked one half an hour (30 km) north from here.
    Malmoe
    Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels by Month

Figures shown in degrees from vertical
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    18°
    26°
    34°
    42°
    50°
    58°
    Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    50°
    42°
    34°
    26°
    18°
    10°

So I'm guessing these numbers of the tilt of the solar panel corresponds to the angle of the sun (ie the same angle)?
    Also, the angle is when the sun is at its highest, right?
    So now I "just" have to learn how to make/move the sun in sketchup (and measure angles in there)

regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I *think* you're right about the angles. You don't need the angles in Sketchup though. There's a slider for month and a slider for the time of day in the Shadows Settings (Window -> Shadow). Just set these to the required setting and use the Tape Measure Tool (T, or Tools -> Tape Measure) to measure where the shadow ends. Or just guess it a bit, there are enough reference points on your drawing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tilt house 2.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	39377

You can actually put a picture from Google Maps under the house, but I obviously do not know your address, and Trelleborg was too large to search for a house with these precise specifications