Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forest Region Map

Quote Originally Posted by Preypacer View Post
    Funny enough, I could have done all this way faster in PS since my brain is almost on autopilot in that program after using it for so long. But, I'm glad I'm doing it in GIMP instead and learning as I go; I've wanted to break my "dependence" on PS, and move completely toward GIMP for a while, and this project is helping that along quite nicely.
    You use GIMP when you could use PS? Hm... I would love to use PS, with all the options it offers... but the cost is unacceptable for me.

When you say shading the inside, do you mean the dark/thicker borders around the map? I don't actually have any shadowing/shading around the borders in #14. It's just a thick, dark brown line which I actually didn't like.. It kept jumping out at me, overpowering everything else. That's why I went back and re-drew the whole thing in a thinner, cleaner line.
    I was referring to the little wavy horizontal lines. You switched from an area shading to a border-only version... and I personally like the earlier version more.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    You use GIMP when you could use PS? Hm... I would love to use PS, with all the options it offers... but the cost is unacceptable for me.

I was referring to the little wavy horizontal lines. You switched from an area shading to a border-only version... and I personally like the earlier version more.
    Ah okay I see what you mean.

Hmm... You know I hadn't considered doing it that way again since I went back and re-drew all the outlines, etc. I could try that quick when I get home tonight and do an A-B on it. I do like the version in #14 as well... I think it's really just the thick dark outline that's messing with me on that version. So perhaps with the shading in #14 reintroduced with the thinner borderlines like I have in post 16, it'll look nicer.

A number of ways I could go with that.

As for Photoshop.. Well I have an earlier version, CS2, which is fine. But I find that it's cost-prohibitive for me to keep up with each new version of PS, even skipping versions, etc. There are simply much better things I can spend $800 on... or however much PS is these days. Hell, I could contract a good concept artist to do some drawings for me with that, I could purchase some sound effects, I could purchase software that I *do* need to buy (like a game engine license, etc).

I've also become a fan of Open Source over the past few years and the ability to do what I need to using entirely Free software (Inkscape instead of Corel or AI, GIMP instead of PS, Blender or Wings3D instead of 3DSMAX or Maya, etc). Having seen what's possible with any one of those programs, I see absolutely no reason not to use them.... especially for my purposes.

To date, anything that I could normally do with Photoshop has been do-able with GIMP. In fact, GIMP has actually exceeded PS in a number of ways, especially with its plug-in architecture and in how it's much more intuitive with some of the more "basic" functions. Now, if someone could get a stable release of GIMP 2.7 for Windows that has solid Graphics Tablet support, it would be even better.
    Last edited by Preypacer; 11-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Okay quick update time...

Haven't done as much in the last couple days in terms of actual progress, as I've been doing a lot of experimenting and trial and error, specifically with different text/font styles and such for the map. Haven't found anything I like yet.

I did get the shading around the borders re-done, this time using both the sorta "jagged line" effect as well as a slight shadow around the interior. I think it helps to wrap the area up nicely.

Another obvious addition is some trees scattered about. I just finished this about 10 minutes ago, and did a number of "passes" before finding an overall density/distribution I'm happy with; keeping with the more "iconic" look I'm going for. I still need to add trees to the bog area (the dull purplish area in the S/SW portion). Those are going to look a bit different given the different environment they're in; a bit more "ragged". Still need to draw those. I think I'm also going to put in a handful of tree "clusters" here and there, just to mix it up a bit. The trees are by no means final, but they're on the right path...

I also threw in a dinky little makeshift compass thingy in the upper-right corner. Was a sort of "side activity' while thinking through how to approach some other aspect of the map that I don't recall at the moment... Oh! Also added a sort of "stained" effect around the outside of the map just to help the whole "antique feel" of it; just a subtle touch. And roads!

Still to do is to create a logo, a legend and a title for the map (all that empty space is left at the top of the map for a reason :-p)

And that's about it for now.

Would like some feedback/thoughts on the trees, their placement, etc. And of course, about anything else about the map that might come to mind.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SarMapWIP.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	39792
    Last edited by Preypacer; 11-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.

I have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing how you have progressed. I like the colour and style of the map a lot. My one comment would be that the trees look quite regular to me and follow a grid pattern. Fine if they are a plantation but perhaps making them more random might look better.

Look forward to seeing what comes next.

Korba

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    I have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing how you have progressed. I like the colour and style of the map a lot. My one comment would be that the trees look quite regular to me and follow a grid pattern. Fine if they are a plantation but perhaps making them more random might look better.

Look forward to seeing what comes next.

Korba
    Thanks! Been a fun project, even if it's taking me far longer than I'd expected...

As for the tree placement , yeah I agree. Now looking at them they do seem to be a bit too "regular. I need them "scattered", but certainly not so equidistant from each other. I think a little bit more size variation would help, as well as creating a few clusters here and there (where appropriate) to mix things up.

That's why I love coming back to stuff a few hours later or whatever. You see it with a more objective eye and can find things that you wouldn't have while actually working on it.

I'll work on the tree arrangement a bit more and post another update. Probably later on this evening.

Thanks!

I would make the trees a little bit smaller, maybe, this way they're just so ... big. They seem to dominate the map. Though this may be just a matter of personal taste.

Hm ... what else. Ah, yes. The bases of the trees. They look too sharp and lopped off. If you take a look at actual trees you'll notice that their roots often spread out and may also lift the ground around them a bit. I'd add a few dabs on either side of the bases just to simulate roots and maybe weeds or grasses growing around the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I would make the trees a little bit smaller, maybe, this way they're just so ... big. They seem to dominate the map. Though this may be just a matter of personal taste.

Hm ... what else. Ah, yes. The bases of the trees. They look too sharp and lopped off. If you take a look at actual trees you'll notice that their roots often spread out and may also lift the ground around them a bit. I'd add a few dabs on either side of the bases just to simulate roots and maybe weeds or grasses growing around the edges.
    What if I told you they're magical trees.. with rocket boosters... and Cable TV access via their canopies, which are not actually made of leaves, but small metallic sheets acting as antennae?

Yeah you're right.. I'd either be lying, or some some really powerful stuff...

Seriously though... Those trees aren't the "final" versions. They're an iteration closer to what I want than they were, but not quite "there" yet. Aside from having no roots, they're also not quite "sharp" enough. There's more detail in them than you can really see in the map right now, and I'd like them to look a bit more like trees in the final map, than fuzzy brown spheres. I also want to create at least a few variations just to mix it up, so it's not the same exact tree copied over and over.

I think you may be on to something with the size. I've been trying to mix up their spacing and size to give the impression of a forest, but I think they may be a bit too large at that size to look good. I'll experiment with smaller ones and see how it comes out.

Thanks again!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123