Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big about Guild maps

I downloaded the demo version of FT for purposes of this project. I cant seem to save anything bigger than a postage stamp. Is this becasue its a demo, does anyone know? I'm trying to export the chunk that I have chosen, together with its height map, to about 3000 pixels. Any ideas?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I downloaded the demo version of FT for purposes of this project. I cant seem to save anything bigger than a postage stamp. Is this becasue its a demo, does anyone know? I'm trying to export the chunk that I have chosen, together with its height map, to about 3000 pixels. Any ideas?

Torq
    Other than this line:

Fractal Terrains Pro
    14-day demo

Fractal Terrains Pro gives you infinite worlds at your fingertips. FT-Pro will create any number of beautiful worlds based on your parameters. To create a random world, start from scratch or use real world data. Now's your chance to try FT-Pro for free!

Download Fractal Terrains Pro, and try it free for 14 days. The demo version has limited resolution export, and no real-world data, but is otherwise fully functional. After 14 days, you will no longer be able to save.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Ravs,

Did you catch this thread...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1746
    (Edit -- fixed)

Any chance of getting me a bin heightmap ? Save as 'bin' with int tickbox checked ? From what I gathered theres no difference between the vert res of int and float and anyway 1m is alright for me. If your able to do this on any region then can you do my section (7 isn't it ?) plus a large border around it - half a tile at least... If you can do this then can you note down the size of the map saved carefully. Its quite hard to deduce that with a hex editor if you don't know the values and theres no header formatting to tell you.

I'm no FT guy, as you can imagine, but Waldronate knows FT better than anyone so if he reckons that there are some extra options to twiddle and it will make a big quality difference then it might be worth looking into at this early stage.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-01-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Weird....bin isn't an option with the save as. There is a raw binary file option, but the extender to that is .raw - could that be the one you mean?

I did have a look at the thread you mentioned but it was technically way over my head.

:Edit: Ah, I think you posted your link to the wrong thread. I've read Walronate's comments on the thread where he created a beautiful world using FT and what he says there. I think the Raw Binary Data export option is only available for FT pro - which sadly, I do not have.

Blog Entries

Oh yes my link is duff. Dont know how that happened then. Ok maybe Neon can do this. Raw sounds like the right option tho - if it has a tick box for 'int' format then that will be it.

Anyone got the FT Pro ? Neon ?

OK I have FT Pro (version 2.3)

But no option for a BIN other than as a:

Raw Binary File (*.raw)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Yes, RAW - thats the ticket. Can you save out the whole map with that, select the checkbox 'int' or 'integer' or whatever it has there. Note down the exact size it reckons its saving too !

And can you same again, as big as poss for my section 7 + a big overlap border - say half a tile ? That would be magic.

just did it, but it's a 64 meg file (so I'll have to host the download elsewhere) and I've got to go to bed...sorry! I'll try and get it done tomorrow if Neon doesn't beat me to it first.

Blog Entries

Thats brilliant. Even at that size id like it. Remember that its RAW so theres no compression yet. Zip it and it should dramatically drop. If thats 4Kx4K then that would be exactly 64Mb file. No rush BTW - I wont be able to look at this much until Thurs now anyway.

Perfect.

I can now think about some real terrain voodoo...

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast