Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big about Guild maps

IG - My only thought would be that with 4E only 6 weeks away and, I assume, more than six weeks until the project reaches that point, shouldn't we just go for 4E? Or, like you say, probably both. And others. I think the more, the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    IG - My only thought would be that with 4E only 6 weeks away and, I assume, more than six weeks until the project reaches that point, shouldn't we just go for 4E? Or, like you say, probably both. And others. I think the more, the merrier.
    I should have been more specific when I said "current d20 rules." I was actually referring to 4e.

I'm not familiar with GURPS or other RPG systems, but it'd be great if we could port the material so that it could be used by everyone.

For my part, I'll not be writing any d20 / 4e crunchy bits because I don't play enough to know what works and what doesn't under that system. I am just fine with letting all of the development remain flavor text--most GMs can stat out anything they want to use easily enough.

Then again, I'm not opposed to anyone providing stats for d20 or any other system, either. Just so long as there are no expectations placed on us to do so, I'm fine.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I should have been more specific when I said "current d20 rules." I was actually referring to 4e.

I'm not familiar with GURPS or other RPG systems, but it'd be great if we could port the material so that it could be used by everyone.
    I have access to a lot of GURPS Books (well... I need to check. They're with my brother, and he has bought the core 4th Ed books at least, rest is still 3rd. luckily, not too much did change.) as well as a lot of 3rd Ed D&D, should the necessity arise.
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Baziron View Post
    I have access to a lot of GURPS Books (well... I need to check. They're with my brother, and he has bought the core 4th Ed books at least, rest is still 3rd. luckily, not too much did change.) as well as a lot of 3rd Ed D&D, should the necessity arise.
    I think that if someone needed something translated into 3e rules, then they'd probably be better off doing it themselves. I can't imagine creating ports for every edition of every game. Gah!

Groam and the Plaguelands seems to lend itself immediately to the 4e Mindset of "Points of Light". The plagues have probably collapsed entire nations and communities have shut themselves off from each other fearing the variations of the plague and likely assuming most of the world has succumbed to the worst as well (think the first few episodes of JERICHO or the recent movie THE MIST). With the collapse of communcations little is known about the outside world.

I think this would work good as it gives us a part of the world to work with the PoL concept of 4e, as well as non-PoL sections that are not as hurt by the plague to still be more normal.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Man, I hadn't even thought along the lines of Rules systems. I suppose you could say "how can you have an rpg world without games mechanics?" I just always imagined us stopping short of actual mechanics, to that the wrold could be "system agnostic". I've nothing against 4e, or any other system for that matter and I'm not the person to really properly deal with the issue.

I currently play a 3e variant called "Iron Heroes" which I love and Groam kind of matched the type of game that system envisages. System agnostic would be my vote, but thats just me. If you could set up a mechanically sound world for 4e complete with mechanics I'm sure it will be very popular.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Man, I hadn't even thought along the lines of Rules systems. I suppose you could say "how can you have an rpg world without games mechanics?" I just always imagined us stopping short of actual mechanics, to that the wrold could be "system agnostic". I've nothing against 4e, or any other system for that matter and I'm not the person to really properly deal with the issue.

I currently play a 3e variant called "Iron Heroes" which I love and Groam kind of matched the type of game that system envisages. System agnostic would be my vote, but thats just me. If you could set up a mechanically sound world for 4e complete with mechanics I'm sure it will be very popular.

Torq

I like system agnostic as well, to be honest. I just figured that I'd throw the question out there because I believe it'll come up eventually, especially when we get down to detailing the smaller regions and individual buildings and such.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone statting out their creations in whatever system they prefer, or leaving them as flavor, as they see fit. That might lead to power imbalances, though, if one system permits things that another cannot easily handle. Still, that's something that could be cleaned up later, I should think. And if I do anything of the sort, I'll be using Fudge--"Good" and "Mediocre" should be easy enough to port to whatever system a GM decides to use.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I understand where the question came from, but I don't really think we need to stat it out at all. It could just be a fantasy world vice a fantasy rpg world.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast