Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big about Guild maps

Now, I've got to a fiddling (fatal these group discussions, I tell ya! )

Another advantage with using an FT map is that combined with Bryce it's a fairly easy matter to produce these 3d jobs, but I believe that Redrobes software does that too.

:Edit: actually there is a practical use to this gimmick - you can overlay the Temp / Rainfall / Climate shaders from FT on the 3d model and it makes it easier to see.

So first picture is altitude (default colours), second is Gaia shader, third is temp and fourth is climate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dland.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	2890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dgaia.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	2891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dlandtemp.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	2893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dlandclimate.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	2894  

Ravs....If I send you the FCT File for my world 4, could you make the same isomorphic examples?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sure, they just take seconds to do. You can download Bryce 5.5 for free - would you like me to talk you through the steps? (it's very simple).
    I would but today I have a BIG D&D Miniatures PreRelease Tournament in a hour, and then my Regular D&D Game with my buddies after, so I will be away all day.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    ..I have a BIG D&D Miniatures PreRelease Tournament in a hour, and then my Regular D&D Game with my buddies after, so I will be away all day.

You lucky chap !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    No worries, send me the files and I'll post up the isos. Good Luck at the tourney!
    BAck from my Tourney. Came in First (Yay!) going undefeated all day.

D&D Game was a bust as only three of us were there 1 DM + 2 players just won;t do.

I'll check in tomorrow to do the iso's (amazing how tired a mentally challengeing game makes one )

Neon, from what I can see on the poll, your map 4 seems to be a big favourite. Can you post a final version of it from which to proceed. Those who are following this thread will know that the more popular view was that we should choose a smaller, more confined area of the world to begin the project. I would like to select an area which has central/northern European feel in terms of climate and vegetation. This seems to me the most obvious choice to begin for a rpg world and will include the most number of potential mappers.

I will then post a that section divided into about 20 quadrants. If you want a specific quad you just let me know and I will reflect your name in that quad. In this way I will continually update the map of the area so everyone can see whats available. Remember though that just because you map a certain area doesn't mean you will get to map all the detailed portions of that area too. The whole idea of this collaboration is to allow others to come on board and map individual areas according to their tastes and skills.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

This is what I had in mind. Obviously I hope to get a higher res map from Neon, which would indicate the landforms a little more clearly, but this is more or less the idea. The first picture highlights what I suggest may be a good starting area. The second shows the are zoomed in and divided into quadrants for everyone to select an begin mapping.

Looking at it now it becomes clear to me that much cooperation will be necessary with features that extend over different quadrants eg. rivers and mountains, so there will need to be discussion between the mappers of adjacents quads.

If the planet is approximately earth sized, can anyone tell me how big those quadrants would be more or less?

How about this for a bit of a teaser for the area, so as to get the discussion going?

"Two kingdoms, oreintated more or less North/South that have been warring since their tribal days thousands of years ago. The tide of conquest has pushed back and forth between them without either attaining major ascendacy. Both became kingdoms in their own right resulting in a powerful stalemate. Recently however (maybe 100 years ago) a mysterious plague swept through the border regions of both kingdoms, decimating the populations and almost destroying the economies of both. The recovery has been slow on both sides, but the time may be ripe for a decisive victory either way."

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World%204 Zoomin1.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	2901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World%204 Zoomin2.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	2902  
    Last edited by Torq; 03-30-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

The southern coast could be a mediterranean climate. While the northern inland sea probably resembles the baltic sea.

Torq's story reminds me of "the years of salt and rice". A great book where the European population is totaly wiped out by pestilence. (Instead of largely as it was in reality). The continent then later is slowly rediscoverd by Islamic and Budistic civilizations. Their look on our society is like the way we now look on ancient egyptians, Inca's, Maya's etc. Great book ;-)

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast