Thread: World of Ervirath - Please Critique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting land/water layout. I guess your Ferrymen's Guild and Canal Union will be very powerful, yes?

What rdanhenry is referring to is it looks a bit like an equirectangular projection, according to the details. I.e. no swelling into hugeness as you approach the poles, like a Mercator. Yet, the proportions would be off - an equirectangular shows one half a circumference north-south, and the whole circumference unwrapped, E-W, for an overall 1:2 proportion. Really, even for an equirectangular projection you'd expect to see some high-latitude distortion, since the geometric point of the pole is stretched to a line the whole length of the top. Other projections have similar tradeoffs - what you show would look a bit odd if wrapped around a sphere. With a more usual scattering of land it's easier to disguise the polar distortion - you just make the whole polar vicinity a solid icecap, or open ocean. Since you have this 'even distribution of small seas' thing going, that kind of trickery is tougher to pull off. Whereas a flat world or segment of the inside of a ringworld could 'more geometrically' have your pictured distribution.

Yup, you're doing some good work with those mountains. I like 'em. The landcover too. If you just need encouragement - keep it up; you've got a good look going.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    What rdanhenry is referring to is it looks a bit like an equirectangular projection, according to the details. I.e. no swelling into hugeness as you approach the poles, like a Mercator. Yet, the proportions would be off - an equirectangular shows one half a circumference north-south, and the whole circumference unwrapped, E-W, for an overall 1:2 proportion. Really, even for an equirectangular projection you'd expect to see some high-latitude distortion, since the geometric point of the pole is stretched to a line the whole length of the top. Other projections have similar tradeoffs - what you show would look a bit odd if wrapped around a sphere. With a more usual scattering of land it's easier to disguise the polar distortion - you just make the whole polar vicinity a solid icecap, or open ocean. Since you have this 'even distribution of small seas' thing going, that kind of trickery is tougher to pull off. Whereas a flat world or segment of the inside of a ringworld could 'more geometrically' have your pictured distribution.
    Thanks for the feedback Jbgibson. I hadn't actually considered such things; to be honest until it was mentioned I didn't even know about "projections". I might go with your tip of adding open oceans or icecaps to the poles to make it easier. I don't suppose you know of a tutorial/source that might be helpful in this regard?