Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November Entry: Deep Space Scout Carrier

I haven't abandoned this, but I got a commission, and then a huge freelance job (104 hours in the past nine days, plus ten more tomorrow probably). Needless to say, that curtailed my mapping a bit. Assuming I don't get hit by another big project, though, I think I can still get this done by the deadline. It might not be as refined as I'd like, though. Thanks for watching!

Oh, and in the unlikely event that one of you is a Lady Gaga fan, watch the Thanksgiving special on ABC this week—it will be my first screen credit!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on all of the above ... what is it you do?

I do like Gaga, but can't watch US television
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Right now I'm a rotoscoper, but I'm working on moving up into compositing.

Now the translation: The rotoscoper creates animated masks on video footage in order to isolate areas for the purpose of treating them with visual effects or to put effects into the mid-ground of a shot. In the case of the Gaga special, I was mostly rotoscoping some areas on her face that needed some beauty treatment—one of her wigs caused a rash on her forehead, she had some lipstick on her teeth, that sort of thing. The special is an hour long, and almost every shot needed some touch-up.

The compositor usually takes different pieces of footage and imagery and combines them so that they all look like they were photographed at the same time. For this project, the compositors were carrying out the actual beauty touch-ups. I got to do a little bit of that, plus there were a couple of shots where ABC hadn't gotten talent releases from some people in the background, so I was asked to defocus the background, basically faking a stronger depth-of-field.

wow, this takes the term "photoshopped" to a whole new level o.O

Oh, and in the unlikely event that one of you is a Lady Gaga fan, watch the Thanksgiving special on ABC this week—it will be my first screen credit!
    Congrats Mid! That's really cool! Like DJ, I'm stunned that they actually 'shop' their videos to that degree.

Just goes to show, be careful what you wig for ...

Gaah! Work is not progressing as I had hoped. I at least have the scout done, though, so here's that image:

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200T_scoutShip_classS_deckPlan_003.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	40229  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

cool and thanks for the follow up description of your work as Ravi I am amazed that they do as much for a tv-show ...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12