Thread: Photoshop questions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi and welcome to the guild
    1. no ... what I would do would be to take a copy of the layer without the bevel and put on top of the other - then cutout the middle so it only covers the problem.
    2. not quite sure what you mean - but you can put a mask on a group if that helps. I often CMD (CTRL) click on a layer or mask to get a selection choosen, then go to the relevant layer and activates mask there, that is pretty fast.
    3. what isn't matching - the dark between tiles? You might consider making the tiles bigger and then drawing an extra shadow manually
    4. none - you can't go to 300 dpi from 72 without having to tune and/or redo stuff. Photoshop can do a lot of stuff but everything can't be automated.

Looks like you got a good start on mapping - looking forward to seeing more ... you might want to make a WIP thread on your map while you work - then you can get help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    hi and welcome to the guild
    1. no ... what I would do would be to take a copy of the layer without the bevel and put on top of the other - then cutout the middle so it only covers the problem.
    I copied the WALLS layer. Renamed both layers : on top it's now labelled STONE, beneath, is now the one labelled WALLS.
    I modified the layer mask of STONE by expanding the black region by 24 px, then blurred (Gaussian Blur) with a 12 px radius. I only kept the [B]Pattern overlay/B] effect. It does the trick.
    I tried to automate the process through ACTION. But there is no way I can select or paste in a layer mask using an action. When I record my actions, it seems to work fine, but when I run the action it pastes in a new layer rather than in the layer mask or selects in the layer rather than in the layer mask.

2. not quite sure what you mean - but you can put a mask on a group if that helps. I often CMD (CTRL) click on a layer or mask to get a selection choosen, then go to the relevant layer and activates mask there, that is pretty fast.
    Here again I used a layer mask based on the one of the WALLS layer. I copied it as the mask layer for the PARCHMENT layer, then expanded the black area twice by 72 px (you cannot expand by 144 px directly), and applied twice the Gaussian Blur effect (72 px radius each time). Once again, I was unable to make an action automating the operation. Actions don't handle very well layer masks.

3. what isn't matching - the dark between tiles? You might consider making the tiles bigger and then drawing an extra shadow manually
    When you look closely, you will notice that steps dont all look the same, I would like all the steps to look completely similar.

4. none - you can't go to 300 dpi from 72 without having to tune and/or redo stuff. Photoshop can do a lot of stuff but everything can't be automated.
    Okay, I am going to prepare a 300 dpi file with the right layers and will only copy/paste then resize the layers masks. It should make thing faster.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Looks like you got a good start on mapping - looking forward to seeing more ... you might want to make a WIP thread on your map while you work - then you can get help and critique
    I am not sure my work is on par with what I saw on this site...