Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WiP] Dheghom

Without a scale, it's hard to say how realistic the rivers really are. My first instinct is that they are a little wiggly if this is a continental-scale map.

Overall, though, the river systems look plausible. They generally start in the highlands (with a few exceptions like the one in the lower-left corner of the map where a river starts near the sea and flows between two mountain ranges on its way to another sea) and end in the sea. There do seem to be a lot of rivers, but that may be a scale issue.

The area is about the size of europe, plus north africa and the middle east. Scale of wiggliness was one of my concerns. That river to the lower left is actually a bit of an eff up, I'll have to fix it. I originally had the branching system draining into the sea near to it, but then decided it would be more interesting to rotate it, connect it to the lake system and make the valley drop below sea level, but then I forgot to erase the outflow of the lake system. "Wha.. why is the river flowing uphill?" "A wizard did it."

Great maps! I got nothing else to add except that the first image you posted looks like an elephant. Ha!
    ~May

The big ocean basins are interesting; the ones in the middle suggest glaciers followed by deglaciation and sea level rise, like the Baltic.

Stuff I love on this map:

-- volcanic island arc in lower middle-left
    -- massive crater in lower right

Haha ChicagoMay, That image is atleast 12 years old and I never saw an elephant until now, and now it's all I can see when I look at it.

I've been messing around with wilbur and ran some terrain through it. The result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map14.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	933.8 KB 
ID:	40064
    Don't like the weird angular mountains in the bottom left.

edit: ignore the currently terrible forest effects and such
    Last edited by Akerbeltz; 11-18-2011 at 02:10 PM.

This looks like the head of a wolf looking west to me. There, no more elephant!

Ha, nice I totally see the wolf. Ironically the first version of this world was designed to look like a dragon. I've lost those very first drafts, they were scribbled on loose-leaf paper in some binder I probably threw out years ago.

Anyways I redid the relief in wilbur. Slowly working on redoing the colour and effects.

Name:	map16.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	570.6 KB 
ID:	40092

You have to tell me which tutorial you used for the wilbur-to-bitmap-to-wilbur relief work!

I actually just went back to my first rough copy bitmap and altered it then ran it through wilbur instead of trying to salvage what wilbur had given me before. I wasn't happy with the results from the few tutorials I tried, so I've sort of been playing around on my own. I'm using the basic difference clouds in gimp adjusted by hand to create the original bitmap. My big discovery is the importance of adjusting curves before exporting to wilbur so you get actual ridges instead of plateaus. Also that if you're trying to place non random mountains you can adjust curves so you isolate the ridges then cut and paste them where you want them. After a touch up it looks better than trying to just lighten a section with an airbrush.

Anyways got some more work in:

Name:	map17.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	610.2 KB 
ID:	40111

My master copy is 3000 px wide with about 20 layers, my poor little netbook hates me when I open it.

- The salt flats sort of stick out like a sore thumb, haven't decided what to do with them yet.
    - Forests still need adjustment.
    - Coastline too rocky? I don't know, it seems way more of my coast is rough than not.
    - Need to finish water effects, may darken rivers and lakes.

Another update.

Name:	mapcoast.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	639.0 KB 
ID:	40131

Shrank the god city, added some forests, played around with water effects, and a few other tweaks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast