Thanks for all the good advices, I've altered it so that it is back as a separate body of water as well as touching up a couple of the smaller islands on the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06TouchUp.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	39898

I'll probably use a large river to attach it to the sea and place a river delta nearby. I'm not averse to altering it later as the rest of the features take shape. The area will be surrounded by a large mountainous area that would catch enough rainfall supply as well as at least one large river entering the map from the North.

My next step was to start on some of the features of the map:

Name:	07TopLandNoTree.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	39899

The surrounding sea areas are only tentatively textured. I've used a brush to 'raise' the land up from the sea and then smudged it in to blend it but I won't start on 'lowering' the ocean floor until more of the coastline is done. The next stage was to touch it up a bit further, add some trees and employ a little gaussian blur to blend it all in and...

Name:	08TopLandWithTree.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	39900

I'll do a bit more touching up of that area before it's all finished, as well as finishing the surrounding sea-floor and probably altering the levels but that area is essentially finished.

I'd hoped to get more done this weekend but, alas, that was it!