Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lir - Cor Regional Map

Thanks for all the great comments everyone.

Airith: lol. Nice catch. I must have looked at the map for hours and never noticed that little mistake. Final version has been switched.

Midgardsormr: Glad you like the rose. I've attached a psd file of it below for anyone who wants to use it. If you need a different format just let me know.

Cartographist: Those ridgelines are a bit of a pain sometimes, but I still like the effect. I went through once to clean up several of the most out of place ones, but I can see now I missed a few. I'm not sure what causes them to go so out of whack sometimes, but next go around I'm going to try to make sure my paths don't have any weird 'kinks' or other angles that might be causing the issue. May just be something in PS.

On the city markers I wrestled a long time to come up with a symbol that 'worked.' I wanted something simple, but also not too modern. I can't say I'm totally happy with them either. I went with the dark gray/black circles with the thought that they would have been easy for someone to just 'ink' in when creating the map. I may just try making them smaller next time so they are still visible, but not quite so...prominent. That is if I don't think of something else.

Kagehito: The 'arrow' was defined by making a new brush from one of the standard calligraphy brushes set with the fade between 150 and 200 and a little size and roundness jitter. Then using the 'new' brush to stroke the path. An excellent tutorial on the whole 'ridgeline' process is located on Butch Curry's website here: http://www.zombienirvana.com/?page_id=67.

Thanks again,

Tareth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Compass One.psd   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lir - Cor Region.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	2723  

I really, really love this style.

I am going to see if I can easily emulate it in CC3...when i have time...and my ADHD doesn't suddenly pull me in another direction (CURSE YOU ADD!!!!!!!!!!!)

Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hey thanks for the link! I'll go check it out as soon as I can! It's the wifes birthday today, so i have no time for projects.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I really, really love this style.

I am going to see if I can easily emulate it in CC3...when i have time...and my ADHD doesn't suddenly pull me in another direction (CURSE YOU ADD!!!!!!!!!!!)

ADD + Internet = trouble
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Thanks for the rose!

Quote Originally Posted by Tareth View Post
    On the city markers I wrestled a long time to come up with a symbol that 'worked.' I wanted something simple, but also not too modern. I can't say I'm totally happy with them either. I went with the dark gray/black circles with the thought that they would have been easy for someone to just 'ink' in when creating the map. I may just try making them smaller next time so they are still visible, but not quite so...prominent. That is if I don't think of something else.
    It might be effective to blur them just slightly--the sharp edges might be causing them to look computer-generated. It might also work to reduce their opacity a little bit.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Nice map, Tareth. Excellent work!

(PS: Gurps 4e rocks!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12