Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP: Abbotsford Map with Falls (Gimp)

2nd Update:

This style of map has been rejected. I'll be trying a completely different style, simpler in fashion to a line drawing on aged parchment.

Cheers,

I feel your anguish and frustration. Good luck.

Lukc,

Thanks!

I switched to Fractal Mapper 8 for this map, but will keep Gimp for the rare effect down the road - like the old weathered map script.

Laid out 50 mile map, dropped in textures, river, and trees. Added marsh, bayous and beaver dam, dropped in watersplash/ford, created canyon, island and smaller details. Pulled into Paint Shop Pro for text, extra shadowing on river and canyon. Hopefully this is accepted.

Cheers,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Athertest-1.png 
Views:	565 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	40169

I love the concept, but the mixture of different illustrations styles (hand drawn mountains, photorealistic forest etc..) is a bit jarring to me and makes it look more like a collage (which is great if that's the look you're after). If you want something more consistent, is there a symbol set all drawn by the same person that you could use? (I don't use FM8 so I can't really help you there).

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I love the concept, but the mixture of different illustrations styles (hand drawn mountains, photorealistic forest etc..) is a bit jarring to me and makes it look more like a collage (which is great if that's the look you're after). If you want something more consistent, is there a symbol set all drawn by the same person that you could use? (I don't use FM8 so I can't really help you there).
    Hiya Ravells,

I really appreciate your feedback. This is the 2nd map made in this style with mixed media - I didn't really think of it as a collage, but that seems fitting. Truth be told, I'm happy with this look, but...

You ask a very good question about 1 full set of symbols drawn by the same person - which don't exist that I know of. I've been tempted to try creating a matching style to the photo-realistic forest, but so far have come up empty on this board. So if you know of an artist that has created a set of photo realistic mountains I'd love to see them.

The technique for the trees works really well, so IF I can discover a way to do the same with mountains/hills, this will probably wind up being my main method.

Thanks again,
    Last edited by Silverleaf; 11-23-2011 at 09:25 PM.

My pleasure, just sorry I can't be of more help.

It look like you're using Star Raven's mountain brushes (not sure without checking) and I think she had some forests to with it. You might also want to try using Ramah's 'tree thing' application (you can find it in the 'Elements' section of the forum.

I don't think I have ever seen photo realistic mountain symbols...I think that they would just be impossible to draw because in real life mountains form continuous chains rather than being discrete little mountain objects which is how they are stylised as symbols.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12