Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WiP] Radigast - city mapping

A really superb city map. I agree with Pasis and Jaxilon about aging the text and city walls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radigast3_1920_Aged.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	40857

I took all that into account, made an extra-aged version ... and promptly forgot to upload it! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

And I thought you were great with Sketchup. This is so nice and shows incredible versatility.

I'm so-so at Sketchup and I'm ok at Illustrator. Illustrator's a horrible behemoth of a programme ... when I first fired it up I stared at it like a bunny rabbit caught in the glare of a car's headlights. It's learning curve reminded me of rock climbing.

I like this map and the aging effects you have done on it. My suggestions are, try reducing the opacity (just a bit) on the stains. I'd also suggest applying just a slight gaussian blur (0.5 px) to the stains. You may also want to blur the text and the black lines and then overlay a layer with a texture on top of the black lines and text layer(s). I would reduce the opacity of the lower layer (text and line work) just a bit. That might give a slight aged look. You may also want to apply a gaussian blur (0.25 to 0.5 px) to the entire image to soften it a bit. Mind you these are just random ideas I have that may or may not be relevant to your map, since I have no idea what your layers are like for this map.

Overall, this is a very well done map. Congratulations.

If I still played D&D, I'd use it! Greyhawk has always been my realm of choice.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Quote Originally Posted by veracusse View Post
    I like this map and the aging effects you have done on it. My suggestions are, try reducing the opacity (just a bit) on the stains. I'd also suggest applying just a slight gaussian blur (0.5 px) to the stains. You may also want to blur the text and the black lines and then overlay a layer with a texture on top of the black lines and text layer(s). I would reduce the opacity of the lower layer (text and line work) just a bit. That might give a slight aged look. You may also want to apply a gaussian blur (0.25 to 0.5 px) to the entire image to soften it a bit. Mind you these are just random ideas I have that may or may not be relevant to your map, since I have no idea what your layers are like for this map.

Overall, this is a very well done map. Congratulations.
    Well, this aged version is just an "online display" version of the map. The original version is in illustrator - so quite stain free - and runs to Idon'tknowhowmany layers (but they're grouped - so one layer for terrain, one for water, one for docks and bridges, one for gardens, one for buildings, one for trees, one for texts, one for additional decorations and thingamabobs - 8 all told). Since the map is in vectors, it's sharp as a knife in the original ... A slight bit of gaussian would be great, but I'm calling this one finished (I think the version in Finished Maps is a bit different)

Anyway: here is the finished maps version.

That is quite incredible stuff.

Thanks, glad you like it.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Wow, this is just amazing. I wish I could make something like this.

Any chance you'd publish a tutorial on how you did this?

Or any chance you take commissions?

If so, please contact me at angellus00 -- at -- gmail -- .com

Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast