Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
Normal Mercator isn't really the best projection for a continental scale map like this, unless you need to preserve bearings (say for a marine chart intended for dead reckoning, in which case you you'd probably have rhumb lines rather than a graticule)

It's not really appropriate to have an indicated scale when the actual scale varies so much. If you keep it I'd put a note under it along the lines of: Scale true at 45° N.

Given the name and appearance, I'd thought it was a much smaller feature; a small sea rather than a small ocean. If you can make it smaller, the scale issue would go away.
I need the distance from Kleesport to North Haven and, yeah, since it's a sailing chart it was the bearings requirement that pushed me to mercator. I thought it was about the same size as the Great Australian Bight until I started doing the math. I might be able to edit the story to cut the distance down, and I can certainly change the name ... I need the Zypheria (it's the name of the wind) but I might be able to bring it down a bit in size, or change its name.

I figured the scale was wrong once I got a feel for just how much of the planet this body of water covers.