Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Silver Moon Empire

It's been a long time since I worked on this map, but I've spent it learning from some very excellent tutorials here on the Cartographer's Guild and from comments made here. I've relied most heavily on Tear's "Saderan - a tutorial" (Thanks, Tear!). Since our last look, there have been some magical catastrophes as well, which have changed the lay of the lands a little bit and helped to integrate some of those persistent (magical!) anomalies.

This map is copyrighted to Lyran Tal Press.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SME_v3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	26866  
    Last edited by StillCypher; 07-10-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Fantastic work, so painterly but the labels fit so well. I have to learn how to do this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That just went straight into my 'Inspirational Maps' folder. Damn, that's fine work. I especially like those mountain 'steps' in Balthazor.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That just went straight into my 'Inspirational Maps' folder. Damn, that's fine work. I especially like those mountain 'steps' in Balthazor.

Those are rice terraces! The effect was requested some time ago, but I couldn't think how to do it until I was working with the elevation layer in Tear's tute -- then it hit me like a ton of DUH. I'm really pleased with how they turned out.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Wow, this looks fantastic StillCypher! I really love the mountains and the painted looking forests. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hah, the Frigin Sea.

I don't post very often at all, but I really like this map!

I thought the original was good but this is a great improvement over that. I mostly love the textures you have for the various places. I like the mountains a lot and the labels are easy on the eyes as well. It leaves me with hope for myself that I can improve upon my early works as I learn more just as you have.

Great job!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Very nicely done... I really like the curled map look as well, tre' stylish!

I love "The Friggin Sea", and "Further Still" Great names! I love the map!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12