Thread: Near Final Sylvane Map: Feedback Wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First of all, I applaud the high contrast! It's very striking.

I don't know what the final physical size of this map will be. If it's poster-sized, then what I am about to say may not be an issue. A lot of the labels are difficult to read due to the interference created by the high-contrast lines around them. This is particularly bad in the mountains, where I have to really work hard to read some of those names. I think it's a matter of similar frequencies in line density. By that, I mean that a label like "The Elderwood" isn't as difficult to read because the linework surrounding it is very high-frequency. If you look at "Briggdorum Mountains," though, it's difficult to make out because the frequency of the surrounding mountains lines is very similar to that of the text. The letters of both appear to be the same size, and I assume that the padding around them is identical. So what makes one legible and the other not must be the patterns across which they are placed.

Along those same lines, there is a contrast issue with some of the text on the forests. Take a look at the labels "Jui-Rae" and "Jui-Sae." One is easier to read than the other, merely because the density of the Jui-Sae forest itself is greater. In that case, it's not a huge deal, but it might be something to keep in mind for the future.

Well, I need to get back to work now, but it looks good! If I get the chance later on, I'll try to take a look at the full-resolution version.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice Facebook Connected jlficks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m still working on the map, but here’s a more updated version.

Summary of changes:
    1) Changed city/town name font to a more handwritten font
    2) Increased font size
    3) I fixed areas especially around hills and the dead forest where text got chopped into tiny pieces
    4) Some renaming
    5) I fixed some text along curves where letters weren’t spaced right
    6) Other minor fixes

Map is still not final. I am still tweaking.

Cereth hit the purpose of the map dead on. It’s supposed to make you explore and want to learn more about the world. As for the format, this grungy color map is featured on the website. The map viewer allows you to zoom in, pan, etc. so not all text needs to be read at a glance.

That said this is not the B&W version that will be printed in the novels. That map doesn’t have the parchment texture or black border. It’s simpler, so maybe Freodin will forgive me for the dark border here. : )

A few words on responses:
    1) Thank you! I appreciate all the feedback very much!
    2) On mountains/text. I hear you on the difficulty to read. I don’t have a solution.
    3) Mizzle Drizzle is kind of a playful name from a playful people.
    4) The clean cartouches verses black border. I hadn’t thought about that.

See the high rez link for updates:
    http://www.chroniclesofcovent.com/map.html

Hit the buttons to explore.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected jlficks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A few words on responses:
    1) Thank you! I appreciate all the feedback very much!
    2) On mountains/text. I hear you on the difficulty to read. I don’t have a solution.
    3) Mizzle Drizzle is kind of a playful name from a playful people.
    4) The clean cartouches verses black border. I hadn’t thought about that.

Cereth hit the purpose of the map dead on. It’s supposed to make you explore and want to learn more about the world. As for the format, this grungy color map is featured on the website. The map viewer allows you to zoom in, pan, etc. so not all text needs to be read at a glance.

That said this is not the B&W version that will be printed in the novels. That map doesn’t have the parchment texture or black border. It’s simpler, so maybe Freodin will forgive me for the dark border on the website verision. : )

Would a lighter color for some labels (like Dragontooth Mountains) be more readable ... perhaps an outline font?