Thread: Nov/Dec 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: The Mage's Tale - episode 6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Atlosi Island -

Thanks for the information - I think I understand. My maps are usually linked to a story episode so there is almost never more than an indication of human presence. My thought is that, during pre-modern times, human impact on the land was less pronounced than today. For instance, around 500 B.C.E., Europe was forest. By 1000 C.E., you could probably pick out Rome on a landscape map of the coast of Italy but just.

In the case of this map, it is the view from the balcony of a wizard named Nessum. His view is north-east toward a distant sea coast. So, someone reading the episode and seeing the map can see what the character sees.

Also, I have not been successful with making a role playing map - because I have not figured out how to make mountains, etc. that look like mountains from the perspectives of four players sitting around a table. That is definitely a wip. I tend to the view that the landscape is more important and is sometimes lost with all the symbols of human occupation.

I will try a map with labels and such (town, castle, roads, ports...) and see what comes out of the pencil. And, truthfully, I'm pretty much a tectonics freak - I like the looks of mountains, rift valleys, colliding plates, roving hot spots and all that showbiz.

Regards,
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atlosi_001.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	40271  
    Last edited by gwiley; 11-29-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: adding mapped test