Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
Yesterday, while falling asleep, I suddenly had an idea for a grand sand-boxy adventure module for role-playing. Now I'd like a few opinions on the idea, and possibly some suggestions for where I could go to develop it further (forums or something where I could sound board the concept a bit more, etc.,).

Has this kind of stuff been done before? I just don't know. :S
Hiya,

Depending if this module/concept is for OD&D/Classic/1E/2E I'd recommend searching over at

DragonsFoot,
Knights & Knaves.

Naturally, if its for 3E + then
Enworld

However, if your looking for suggestions on a Sandbox itself, I can humbly suggest the section of my blog on sandbox design: Sandbox and Bat in the Attic:
Howtomakefantasysandboxl

The concept isn't new per say - that is while I've not seen a module devoted to this specific design - I have known a few DM's (myself included), that have set sequences in motion that follow the same sort of concept.

The only point I'd like you to consider is since its a Sandbox, then ensure there are multiple paths for the players to take - so that it avoids the railroady sort of step-by-step design that traditional modules take. Not that there is anything bad with them mind you - just that I firmly believe the point of a sandbox is to give the players tons of freedom, while keeping the front end work to a minimum for the DM. Only when they decide on a path does the DM need to expand a specific concept beyond the basics.

Whatever you decide, I'd simply ask you post a WIP/or even finished design for those interested in this style.

Best of luck,

R.S.