Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Dragon's Lair...Here there be Dragons.

Wip December Entry: Dragon's Lair...Here there be Dragons.

For my first Challenge entry I am posting a 2 part map. The first part I am starting with is the Entrance to the lair and the area around it. You know, the deserted valley with the sign that says "don't go any further stupid". So far the map is made just with DundJinni. I will probably tweak it some more with photoshop, but I wanted to post what I had. Any suggestions welcome.

Non-Qualifying Map moved to Finished Maps http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...548#post172548

Next I will work on the interior "Dragon Caves";
    Last edited by Bogie; 12-22-2011 at 12:39 AM.

I like the setting, but something about all those angles on the "cliff/mountain"? faces diverging to different vanishing points seems to distract the eye. It's as if the viewer is overhead looking down from different points all at the same time.

The cliffs are all the same object just rotated and layered. And since there is only one version of this object I don't have a lot of options to change it. I may be able to add more trees and blend in some moss or scrub brush texture to break up the angles a bit. Will give it a try and see how it comes out.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good start bogie, just remember that the thumbnail-script can only pic up one picture - so you have to put them together in the end or make a pdf
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks, I am working on the maps separately, but then I will stitch them together at the end.

I added more foliage to break up the lines on the cliff. Does that work better?
    Last edited by Bogie; 12-21-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Heck, I'm no pro. As far as my two-cents are concerned ( devalued due to inflation and other market pressure... current value .18 cent) that helped.

Your 2 cents are worth way more than that, And I like it better to.

I've been working on the caverns for the dragons lair. I think I may expand the layout a bit. Needs more details. I'm OK with the look so far, but it needs more to finish it.

Just found out the maps I was working on probably don't qualify for this challenge. Please disregard the previously posted maps.
    I started a new set tonight, they are in the next post.
    Last edited by Bogie; 12-15-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Sorry about the mix up with the previous maps.

I started a new Cavern Map tonight and here are 3 stages of production. Lots more to do, but wanted to show what I was doing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DragonLair201.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	610.9 KB 
ID:	40644

Name:	DragonLair202.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	618.6 KB 
ID:	40645

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	DragonLair203.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	810.0 KB 
ID:	40646

The premise of a mapping challenge is to train ourselves to create cartographic content that meets a specific criteria within a limited amount of time to a specific deadline. As if it were a commission map for a publisher. Its a challenge to each entrant, not even with an emphasis on winning rather, a sense of accomplishment to meet the challenge. Voting at the end of the month is just a bonus for the community to recognize the best in their eyes. This is why the activity is called a challenge and not 'contest'. There is almost never a prize, although their have been at least 5 sponsored mapping challenges that did include prizes - I sponsored 2 challenges this way.

So never worry if you have a winning map entry - that's not important. Getting your map done in the time span allowed is what's important.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Being new here, and first time in the challenge, I didn't know the guidelines & rules. I'll learn.

I'm going to use the same technique as the cavern map I started to post so I have all the components ready to go. Should be easy to get caught up.
    I won't bother with the entrance map as that would be a bit to much to do getting this close to the Holidays.

Right now I'm fiddling with the floor and background textures to get the color combination right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast