Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Wyrm Sign

I always try to think of details that others would not...

Alright, here's an attempt at an ornate border - no other labeling yet, but I think I'm going to create an outline version of the lair layout and place as a key beneath the map itself, along with a story, or mini-adventure. We'll see how that goes. The corner pieces are quite cool though, I found a photo of anglo-saxon broach and used it for reference in creating these.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyrm-sign.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	40504
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

My favorite thing? The skeleton that looks like it's crushed into that round rock, like he got sat on my a very large dragon butt.

Thanks, Diamond - the devil is always in the details.

I changed up the interior of the border - I didn't like the way it looked, the style kind of clashed. So I pulled those parts out and replaced it with some story text on top and bottom. I plan yet to create some swords, shields and Sutton Hoo like helmets to fill the verticle part of the border. I added a compass rose using the same graphic as the corner pieces. I made the pillory bigger (move some rocks around) and made the ballista smaller - now everything seems to scale. I added in text labels around the chambers they depict - I think it works.

The title font is called Anglo-Saxon, and the text font (believe it or not) is called Magic the Gathering.

Almost done!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wyrm-close.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	40514
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

These last changes really make the map eye-catching!

After gaming I decided to finish this map, before I go to bed.

I darkened the background even more, so the gold text labeling could be easier read. I made some spacing corrections in one of the labels. I placed the graphic icons in the border verticles - including a saxon sword, a Sutton Hoo helmet, a saxon axe and a round shield. Oh, I also placed a cartographer by line with copyright.

That's it, I'm done. I will post a non-gridded version later today, and a wall separated from floor transparent PNG version for use in VT apps.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wyrm-sign-final.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	40525
    DrivethruRPG store

The previous map is still my final entry into the December 2011 Mapping Challenge.

However, just for an addendum, I've created a gridless version of the map for Bogie. Also, I created a PNG of just the walls as one piece to import to VTT apps like MapTools, as well as a separate floor piece. (Note the lair walls and floor are added as just links, as the PNG of the walls is over 5 MB in size - so it's too big to post as an attachment.)

Enjoy!

GP

Wyrm Sign Walls (transparent PNG file)
    Wyrm Sign Floor (1.35 JPG file)

Name:	lair-no-grid.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	40543
    DrivethruRPG store

Thanks! Wonderful map. Will be using it in a game soon.

OK, for an extra piece of addendum, and to know how impractical it is, I've rescaled the map to 200 ppi, then in photoshop adjusted the ppi back to 100, so the squares are true to scale. The final map is 75.63" wide and 51.3" tall. I used Poster Razor to slice the map into printable chunks at 7" x 9.5" letter size pieces - 66 pages total, saved as an Acrobat PDF file 23.984 MB in size!

Print it if you want - enjoy!

GP

Link to sliced PDF of Wyrm Sign Map
    DrivethruRPG store

... thanks. I think I'll just admire it here on my screen instead...
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

I did say, it was 'impractical', but if you wanted a print version - it's been provided, that's all...

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast