Thread: Social networking pains

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Jax, starting with your own site is the first step.

Then creating a feed off of that, not sure if DA takes a feed or has a API plug in. But like you could add a Publish to FB button on your site (similar to what is here on the Guild) I don't see why you can't just auto publish any post to your site out to FB, Twitter, G+ etc. Not sure if WordPress is up to auto publishing but if you can add the buttons then you could get in the habit of clicking on them your self after each post.

That is the publishing portion which should be the easiest to accomplish. The harder part is how to gain a mind share of the people who want (actually need) your work. That is the real time sink. Posting something to get noticed, recursive links back to your work/site. It will reward you with work and commissions as more people find you.

I have purchased several products over on RPGNow, etc. because of the work I have seen here on the Guild as well as hiring excellent artists such as your self for work I need. I do think that there can be a wider audience out there for some of the styles of work here on the Guild. A few years ago it took me a long time to find an old map of Puerto Rico to give to my wife for her birthday. I wanted that old atlas feel to it. Now I know better and rather than combing eBay for pages cut out of an atlas I would just hire a competent artist to create the map from scratch.

Side note for a project: Create maps of various resolutions to sell as wallpaper packages. Along the lines of http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/dbhome.shtml - a collection of maps to change on my screen.

I do not think that Social Networking is the answer to finding wealth and fame for mappers, but at least you can make your self a bit more famous.

BOB
    Last edited by anstett; 12-09-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org