In my limited RPG publishing experience, money doesn't come in front, rather from behind. Writer and editor is generally paid in-a-rears, once a product is released the initial profits go to pay the writer and editor - they aren't paid in advance, nor at completion of work, rather they are paid when the publisher has received enough profit in sales (this will be your largest expense). Artists and cartographers on the other hand are generally paid upon completion of work, so this is where your expense lies. I have never seen a publisher looking for a partner online. Also most publishers do the page layout themselves - Steve Russell of Rite Publishing does his own page layout, except for Kaidan productline (my line) where I do all my own page layout. If you do any advertising that's a cost too. Beyond art/cartography and advertising, I wouldn't worry about start-up capital - that money will come only if you successful sell any product.

Because I started developing Kaidan, before I got hooked up with Rite Publishing, I indeed incurred some artist expense in cover designs and interior art - something like $400 is what I spent over 2 years. Since freelancing and imprint publishing under Rite Publishing, I haven't spent any money at all. Although I'm only earning about $100 per month based on sales, at least I'm turning a profit.

Good luck finding that $1000 investor - though as I'm saying above, I don't think you need any upfront capital beyond what covers art, maps and advertising. Most RPG publisher's capital comes from sales of product, not from any initial capital investment.