Thread: First world map - Alusia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - Alusia revisited

Edited old post (not sure if it were appreciated if I had opened a new thread for this)

I'm making a map of a world based on a RPG. The 'history' of the world is that it was once united with Earth. It has a long story of two rulers and one of them turning into a megalomaniac and spreading evil across his part of the world (Earth) and the other ruler being forced to banish Earth and her ruler from the globe, leaving Alusia behind. So long story short, earth gets kicked off the planet.

So to make a map that made sense, I took an image of Pangea and drew a piece of land attached to it. Because the shape of Pangea seemed to make 'no sense', the shape of Alusia is drawn somewhat random. I took out Pangea and then drew tectonic plates and their directions (upon looking back I noticed I wasn't very accurate and made a minor mistake, but it didn't make too much difference). Based on the plates I divided the lands into parts, and using that I shifted and turned the parts using this guide. When I was satisfied with the way Alusia looked like, I drew the outlines, filled it and defined the coastlines using the brushes from this topic.

Based on the tectonic plates and they way they collided I defined terrain hight. After that I defined ocean depths, taking notion of the edges of the plates (reason for the irregular depth in the low/right sea).

Now I'm onto the rivers, and although I'm following this tutorial, I'm still troubled with it. I haven't defined all rivers yet obviously, but it bugs me that there will be so little rivers and lakes. Maybe it's because I'm from Holland and there's no living without water there;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satellite-image-of-netherlands.jpg 
Views:	759 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	40832

So I'm not really sure how this'll turn out... anyone got any suggestions for me? And feedback on how it currently looks?

Name:	wip1.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	40830 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	527.0 KB 
ID:	40831

---

~OLD POST~

Name:	alusia.png 
Views:	1498 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	40673

This is Alusia. The map is based on a forum RPG that has been running for three years now and became a very complex, detailed story.

A large portion is handdrawn; the runes, unicorn, compass and parchment texture aren't.

The runewords are Dutch words transcripted by a rune generator.

Please, fire away! It's my first one, and personally I like it, but it isn't nearly as good-looking as other maps on here...
    Last edited by Sae; 12-26-2011 at 06:35 PM.