Thread: Fantasy map. Problem regarding rivers...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

as the other have already commented on the river-ending-in-lake "problem" I'll jump to the graphics ... very nice looking map - one thing I would change is to vary the width of the rivers. They mostly start of thin and go wider as they near the sea and of course when they connect with other rivers. So I'd taper those rivers a little ... imho the ocean floor is a bit dominating it is like there is no water - I'd tone that down a little ... looking good though - keep up the good work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the answers about my concerns regarding rivers, they really ease my mind.

And thank you very much for the comment on the map. It is a capture of the whole map and you are absolutely right about the rivers, I just sketched them to rest a little from making mountains. I still have to work on them and on the lakes also. I need to adapt them to the mountains shape, paint shadows to add depth, vary their width and add some features like river banks, falls, small islands and some affluents (if like in spanish that's the english word for small rivers joining the main one).

Regarding the coastline, although I was very happy with how it came and really enjoyed the method used to draw it, I think it's, as you say, too dominant right now, even after having blurred it to some degree... Maybe I have to obscure it a little or blur it even more. However, you have to take into consideration that this is a capture of the whole map.

Here you can see a capture of 'the inner sea' to better see the effect of the coastline:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa Kellon WIP_11.jpg 
Views:	1747 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	40717

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rapatuan View Post
    affluents (if like in spanish that's the english word for small rivers joining the main one).
    "Affluent" is valid usage in English, but "tributary" is much more common, at least among non-hydrologists.