Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
A double-ender (ship pointed at both front and back) with an aftcastle is rare, but not unheard of ...
Wow, thanks for those reference images! My research had lead me to believe aftcastles were exclusive to larger ships (not being common until around carrack-size, but also seen on some caravels), but it's always fun to learn that you're wrong!

I suggest that the aftcastle might taper more at the rear, like the Nina ...
Ooh, excellent idea! Now that I've seen the pictures you have, my squared aftcastle suddenly looks very clumsy and awkward! Normally I hate to retcon established facts in my games (it's already been described as a square box attached to the ship), but in this case it's really bugging me now.

If you wanted something to look more 'open decked' (like the Viking ships) forward of the aftcastle, I suggest offsetting the outer line to create a visible 'side' of the ship with a smaller planled deck just at the bottom.
Ah, good catch!

In point of fact, that's already been covered -- the deck is in fact a flat one, with the space between it and the ship's hull used for not-quite-dry cargo space. Again, another unique feature of this ship compared to the "longship" it purports to be, but pirates like keeping things out of sight, y'know?

Excellent idea, though, and one that I'll keep in mind for future ship-mapping endeavors. Although in all likelihood the next step up for the party is a full-rigged pinnace or similar multi-decked, multiple-mast ship.