Thread: Your Job...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist

I'm a cartographer. I work for a custom cartography company doing maps mainly for textbooks, travel guides, and the occasional National Geographic project. It's a fun job; I get to be creative and do something I like while getting paid for it.

-Rob

Me I'm just a humble military guys who just get back from Afghanistan, where i was trying to not get blow up by the Taliban’s.

My military trade now is Radio Technician. I decide to let the infantry work to the next recruits.

Until the end of next year, I'm a GRL (Local Network Admin). By then I will either go back to Kandahar or be post to the school to teach new recruits.

In my free time I either do maps, work on my internet version of my world or try to kill player, sorry, I mean DMing .

Sea U Hall a-round,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

I'm approaching 12 years in the U.S. Navy as a submarine officer.
    I'm approaching 35 years of age.
    I'm approaching 27 years playing roleplaying games. Although I always did a lot more DMing than playing. (Actually, that's not quite true. I've always spent a lot more time prepping to DM than actually DMing. Never enough players to go around.)

I'm currently living in the UK on an exchange program with the Royal Navy, helping to run all of their fast attack submarines.

Love to map, love to write, and don't really have time for either.

I would also say that I'm an aspiring screen writer (which really means I'm nearing completion on a feature length movie script (my second) and am going to begin the almost-sure-to-fail process of trying to sell it).

OK, My life's history:

I just turned 41 (on March 5th), and have been gaming since 1979 with D&D. I created my very first world then and while it was beautiful (if I do say so myself), it was entirely forest. No deserts, no plains, just forest.

Later around 1982 or so, I started work on my current campaign World, the World of Auren. It was extremely large, and I pared it down to it's current size around 1985. 1985 was also the year I graduated High School and I then went on to University for a degree in Archaeology. At this point my carefree mapping took a back seat as I tried to devote my energies to University.

Sadly that was not to be as I goofed off a little too much (first time out on my own etc) and I was forced to go on acedemic probation/withdrawl in my second year. I was supposed to take a year off and get my life in order (according to the university) and then I could apply to come back.

During that year off, I took a 'summer job' with the Monopoly Phone company in British Columbia Canada: BC TEL. It turned into a career.

I worked there as telephone operator for 7 years (You Know, Dial 0 or 411 for Help/Directory). During that period I did a lot of mapping while working as otherwise it was BORE-ING with a capital B! Also got married, had a little girl, and got divorced.

In 1994 I then transfered within the company to the education department (more money, more freedom, less stress). Worked, did more gaming, met my current wife.

Then in 1998 I transfered again (slowly working my way up in the company) to a department called Circuit Releases. This department was responsible for dealing with business customers for taking their phone/data services offline so we (the phone company) could do work/maintenance/upgrades to the network.

Then, in 1999 I got Married to my wife in Seoul South Korea in January and had our first son, Seth, in December of that same year. Around this time BC Tel Merged/was taken over by Alberta's Phone Company: TELUS.

In 2001 I transfered to my current job, a Network Technician responsible for testing and maintaining the T1/Frame Relay network of our Phone company across all of Canada. In 2004 we had our second son: Darnell

I have for the last two and half years now worked exclusively the Graveyard Shift as it is the quietest, and affords me a lot of time to do...mapping!

It also allows me time to partake in my second hobby, Playing D&D Miniatures: A head-to-head competetive version of D&D: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/minis
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Cool thread.

I'm an English lit & language teacher at a high school in Michigan; been that for going on 10 years now (I'm 38 ). I have two great kids & my wife (who was my high school sweetheart).

I enjoy long walks on the beach.
    Last edited by pyrandon; 03-17-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I work as a civil engineer for the city where i live.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Guild Novice

I work as a lead web developer for an agriculture website that provides GIS related solutions (maps, fertilizer application files for tractors, analysis of harvest data, etc) to farmers. As such I deal with alot of mapping on a regular basis at work which has worked out nicely with my love of making maps for D&D.

OK, I'm an IT-guy. Working for a European company, taking care of the domain, users and some SQL-servers. Fun job if you like a lot of changes and never get tired of reading about new stuff.

Apart from that I used to be an archaeologist but gave up that career about 10 years ago. For some reason computers seemd more attractive than mud in a hole a very rainy day :-)

I work as a senior administrator for a university in the UK; but I consider myself a writer and have written numerous short stories, novels and so forth. Not quite published yet (other than a few in magazines), but I did self-publish a couple of short story collections (viewble here).

Been rpging for well over 20 years now, mostly D&D in various incarnations, and after a long break I am playing again. Building my own world to play in and recently started designing the maps for it, and discovered that I enjoy it immensely.