Thread: Gomilsk - a sketch up (WIP?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, I used Google SketchUp 8 for the 3d modelling. First I made the ground and river, then made a hemisphere for the barrow.

Then I started making individual buildings and saving them as components, before copying them and rotating them around. That took about 4 hours all together (but I was very rusty with SketchUp when I started!). The good thing with components is that you can edit their colour and shapes all at once, rather than one at a time. For the lighting, I set it to the 29th of december 2011 at abou 11:30 - unfortunately I got the orientation of the whole map wrong by 90 degrees (oops! but nobody seeing the sketch needs to know ... ).

Then I used photoshop to add a bit of texturing and texts to the whole thing ... probably two screen and one multiply layers.

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    unfortunately I got the orientation of the whole map wrong by 90 degrees
    In Sketchup 8 Pro you can set the North direction using the "Set North Tool" from the "Solar North" toolbar (select it in View->Toolbars if you don't see it).

Another way is to select everything and simply rotate it 90 degrees. Should be about 6 seconds work for someone as rusty as you