Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Chesburgh Springs city mapping

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

This is a wonderful map Pasis and I do appreciate being able to play around with it. These mountains and hills do look very nice.

I do think the discussion on defenses and attack venues is a good point for mappers to consider. In my game there was a discussion with a fatalistic mayor who did not want to build city walls because they were so expensive to keep rebuilding after an attack.

In this case I think the one thing I would add is more houses outside of the walls. Given this is a peaceful place with wonderful neighbors more people will be wanted to live with a bit more elbow room.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Excellent addition, It's a small detail but it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    This city is not heavily fortified even though people in this forum seem to be planning to rampage it I lack skill on drawing proper defence systems, so I guess this city relies on peace and powerful friendly neighbours.
    'These are Sparta's walls.'
    When asked why Sparta lacked fortifications, King Agesilaus' pointed to his men.

Lovin it Pasis, my only critique is that maybe the cobblestone streets stick out a bit too much.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Lovin it Pasis, my only critique is that maybe the cobblestone streets stick out a bit too much.

-D-
    I agree. I will tone it down and i will apply some sand on top of it to break the pattern (or actually I will erase parts of the cobblestone to reveal the underlying sand.

I am really enjoying this map, but I have one critique. Simply put, I don't think there's enough variation in texture and value in the landscape. I've taken the liberty of creating a grayscale version of the map to better illustrate what I mean:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chesburgh.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	41348

The northeastern portion of the map is pretty good with a good range of dark and light values. Take a look at the western side of the map though and you'll see how, both in value and texture, the land practically blends right into the water. I think a simple change in value along the coastline would solve the problem, but even better would be to make the values and the textures more distinct. While the textures do have a slightly different grain to them the noise level is almost exactly the same between the land and the water. If it weren't for the obvious river I think the water could be mistaken for something else like grassland when viewed in grayscale.

My overall suggestion: Especially along the coastline I would do something with shadow/highlight work to increase the difference in value between sea and shore. I would also develop a different texture for the water that isn't so coarse that will indicate clearly the difference in materials within the landscape.

Looks like I typed more than I intended, but hopefully my thoughts are at least helpful to you in some way.

Overall the level of care and detail given to the city and the map as a whole is wonderful and I'm really anxious to see the finished product.
    Last edited by ScotlandTom; 01-19-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I have now modified the cobblestones to fit better to rest of the city. I have also created several farmland textures which was surprisingly difficult. I created the first few fields to the east and more is coming to the west, when I get to that point.
    I left my sketch layer visible, so you’ll get a hint what I’m planning (red represent areas for houses, black are the roads and white is the field borders). I will most likely make some fields bigger than they are in the sketch.

@Tom: I agree to your texture point to a certain extent. Quite many features tend to blend if you turn a colored map into grayscale as they rely on the color information, but it is easily avoidable by adjusting the lightness of the colors. I believe the issue in my case disappears when I get to create all the houses and forests etc. and do the final tuning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chesburgh_Springs-9.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	41359  

Looks like your water is a bit darker and the grass a bit lighter now, which makes an extraordinary difference. Combined with all the details you have yet to add I think you're right in that the value issue basically disappears.

I still really like how this map is shaping up. One of these days I'm going to have to improve my city mapping abilities because right now I have to admit I'm a bit envious of your skills.

Guild Novice

OH MY GOD! Now I must kill my self!

This is a great map! Very inspirational. Is there a finished version? Do you have it in higher resolution?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast