Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continent and Kingdom of Luros WIP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Murtauh's Avatar

Thanks everyone! Tomorrow I'm having a calligrapher that works at the high school I attend come over to my house to do the lettering for the map. I'm also planning (much later down the road) to commission some city maps to be made. My father knows an architect, so I think I have that covered. I've got some very rudimentary points for the politics, and it seems very "Roman." Basically, there's a High King (Currently it's the Avenaerus dynasty, with Ardias being the current monarch), and three senators from each province. I really took a lot of inspiration from George RR Martin, and Westeros (the feel of a dynamic, realistic system), so yes, I tried to have the same basic shape and size so that the fundamentals will work.

Luros itself is about the same sized landmass as Europe. Avia has an Italian-esque climate, and the northern portion of Vvara has a cold climate. In truth, Vvarenhal is almost exactly where Winterfell falls, latitudinally. Esos, however, woulod be much farther north than King's Landing.

In the end, most fantasy maps pick up an england-esque appearance, Westeros included.
    Last edited by Murtauh; 01-07-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Ardias Avenaerus, High King of Thocaea

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Murtauh's Avatar

Here's a comparison to Europe. It's only a rough comparison. i haven't quite worked out the scale yet. http://abstractality.deviantart.com/...rope-278232708
    Last edited by Murtauh; 01-07-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    ~Ardias Avenaerus, High King of Thocaea

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Murtauh View Post
    I've got some very rudimentary points for the politics, and it seems very "Roman." Basically, there's a High King (Currently it's the Avenaerus dynasty, with Ardias being the current monarch), and three senators from each province.
    The shadow of Rome looms large. They set the base for most of the politics we use nowadays, crafted most of our culture, and ran an empire as big and sophisticated as it was never seen before or after. It's hard to shake off that kind of influence. You shouldn't be too worried about it :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12