Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique: Archipelago Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Thesslian View Post
    On another note, where did you get all the spiffy fonts?
    Some, I have had so long I no longer remember. However, look at the links in this topic: Font Library: Fantasy Maps

Last time I browsed through that topic, all the fonts I used are on one or another of the sites listed.

BTW: Liked the rest of your post. Definitely gives me something to think about.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Don't know if works until I complete post. Attached is latest additions I have just done.

Life is just too busy for me to work on the maps I truly love: Fantastical Maps. I wished I had the time to work on them. Just started back at UNM. Going for a masters in geography AND geology. Boss said it gives the impression of intention and would get me a more permanent position PLUS a raise. I definitely like the raise part.

Anyway, I worked on giving the islands names. Will next work on getting the text layers converted over into English instead of Vinyarik.

Some history on the island nation.

It was originally a single huge island ruled by an evil empire from "across the waves." The original peoples prayed to the gods to send them a "Messenger From The Stars." The gods answered by sending this "Messenger From The Stars" in the form of a meteor. The meteor struck, shattering the original island into many islands. Where the "Messenger" came down is now the central island surrounded by the "ring" of islands.

Please note that the placement of the text for the islands' names is not definitive as seen. Much is not definitive except for the shorelines and island placement.

Also want an original scale, but have not decided on how to do it. Am thinking of actually "hand drawing" it, scan it in, then play around.

Ultimately, I am trying for an original map that has been drawn over by the new peoples ruling the archipelago.

Thanks for the critiques.

(Hope the map attaches and thumbnails.)

rmfr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IonenDor012.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	42155  

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Quote Originally Posted by Thesslian View Post
    Well, each says something different about the island.

1. You are going to be probed by aliens.
    2. Vikings are going to land and kill you all.
    3. The natives are restless. Listen to the banging of drums and prepare to be eaten.
    4. Makes me think of cuneiform.
    5. Made by a half blind calligrapher.
    6. Welcome to the Arabian Nights.
    7. Seismograph trying to do Morse code. Ancient machines are going to kill you.
    8. Hidden coven of witches are going to peel off your face.
    9. Great Cthulhu will rise from the ocean. Kill yourself now.
    10. The demons can't be too far away.
    11. Makes me think of Angelic script. The apocalypse is coming.
    12. Pretty much looks like 11.

Pick the feel you want for your setting and go with it. On another note, where did you get all the spiffy fonts?
    Hehehe ... just saw this now.

And following right along - the islands look good, but at a small resolution the texture image seems to dominate a bit. I found seeing the original outline *very* hard - and yes, that might be because of my colour-blindness, but still.

Also, I think the mountains seem a bit too sharp compared to the outlines of the islands, like the anti-aliasing is a bit off ... maybe you should apply a slight blur to them. Dunno ... unsharpening in photo shop is always so unsatisfactory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    And following right along - the islands look good, but at a small resolution the texture image seems to dominate a bit. I found seeing the original outline *very* hard - and yes, that might be because of my colour-blindness, but still.

Also, I think the mountains seem a bit too sharp compared to the outlines of the islands, like the anti-aliasing is a bit off ... maybe you should apply a slight blur to them. Dunno ... unsharpening in photo shop is always so unsatisfactory to me.
    You are right. I have not blurred the mountains yet. Thanks for reminder. And as said, I just wished I had more time to work on maps.

Also, still deciding on rivers. All attempts to now have been unsatisfactory. But I'll keep working on it when I have the time.

rmfr

Here is the latest I have been able to get done after "stealing" about 4 hours. It took quite a while to get the alien text done, then copied the layer set and converted it into English text. The attached image below shows the English version.

I did get a few city markers placed and only got three cities named. Yes, I know the one city marker is floating in the ocean. It is there for later placement. Just didn't get a round to it.

My friend is not worried about how long it is taking me. He is still quite a ways from being ready for that chapter of his campaign. Thank goodness. Still wished I had the time to get it finished faster.

Thanks for any C&C.

rmfr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IonenDor017.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	42420  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12