Archipelago Nation

I have been gone from these boards for many months. Real life conspired to never give me time. Was lucky to steal enough time for the two forum boards where I am a moderator. I currently work for the State of New Mexico as a GIST. Thus, I have been making maps. Just that all of them are currently proprietary. And I cannot show them.

Anyway, a friend asked me to make a map for his upcoming D&D campaign. His statement: "I want a nation that is like the Hawai'in Islands, like an archipelago. I also want it like that Mandikar Bay map you made." The Mandikar Bay map he referred to was the Shaded Relief map I made.

For his map, I decided to use real world DEMs, since they are the easiest to make Shaded Relief maps from. I actually used the Hawai'in Islands. I also used the islands off California; San Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, Santa Catalina, and San Clemente. The main difference I made is that I raised the sea level approximately 6 meters.

The only major problem is the islands have some rapid elevation rises, creating thin banding of the Colored Elevation layers.

Another major mistake I made, but did not know it until after, was that I did set the lower limit on the Flow Accumulation Spatial Analyst Tool low enough. Thus, I ended up with far too many rivers. Will have to rerun that.

Please post comments and criticisms here please. Attached is a small version of the normal sized map (1200 x 600). For the normal sized map, follow the below link. I was afraid the system here would not allow me to upload such a large file.

Archipelago Nation

rmfr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IslandNationSmall.png 
Views:	4806 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	41064