Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WiP] Grünwyrm

If there was some way of getting a density gradient on the dots, that might look good and allow you to indicate thick forests as well as scattered woodlands. Also, the dots are a bit small to easily be seen at this magnification.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sular View Post
    If there was some way of getting a density gradient on the dots, that might look good and allow you to indicate thick forests as well as scattered woodlands. Also, the dots are a bit small to easily be seen at this magnification.
    That reminds me, I really need to get back to work on my stippling program.

Density gradient? What do you mean exactly? That I create several different densities of dots (easy enough) or that the density changes dynamically depending on the density of woodlands (much, much, much harder)?

(yes, the dots are small because this is a reduced resolution image - the plan is for the map to print out at 24x24 inches - and I want the dots to look like old newsprint halftone. But I'll try making one with slightly larger dots ...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Svet Zelenograjski 4-01.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	42681

So ... I was sipping a rather insipid lager and said to myself ... heck, let's do a height map!

So I did.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Fantastic map indeed.

Reminds me of Taladas. I really like the layout and the style.

Excellent job!

Have some reputation!

Hehe, I'd never heard of Taladas before. The map is based on a modified T-O map, with the "T" of waters converted to the great barrier mountains running south to south and the White river canyon flowing from the pole south. It's really quite ridiculous trying to give directions on polar continent

This really is very nice looking. It makes me really wish I had any idea how to use vector editing programs. Perhaps I should look into learning one this week.

As to directions, I suppose you could use some kind of polar coordinate system. Considering the T shape of the mountains, I suppose the direction of fixed reference might be "down" as its sort of a convenient geographic pointer.

Yes, I suppose ... in a polar setting like this, one meridian would be defined as the "prime" (probably the one approximating the location of an Imperial Capital or something) and then you could talk of directions spinwards and widdershins, polewards and coastwards. Heck, with limited knowledge of magnetism, a high mountain at the pole would probably be treated as the centre of the world, so it would literally be mountwards and seawards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12