Thread: [WiP] Commission - Town of Beruak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You might want to clip the contours where they pass through the urban areas - human intervention in the natural grades tends to render contours meaningless.

Is there really a 100 foot (10 story) drop along the north bank of the river in the city?
    That strikes me as suprising given how little change there is in the bank of the stream and river - the cliff suggests hilly terrain (with a change in grade and a strong current) while the constant el 1425 river bank suggests a flatter terrain and sluggish current.

A closer examination of the contours suggests that they should be renumbered as 2 or 4 foot intervals rather than 25 foot intervals. At 25' intervals (and 200' for the river width), the flattest areas on your map are roughly the slope of a handicapped ramp (8%) while natural slopes tend to fall closer to 1-2% for flat areas. Most of your city is built on land steeper than a flight of stairs and will require extensive terracing.

You might want to change the fill on the named buildings to make them stand out even more (although I must admit a strong personal preference for shading over hatching that biases my outlook on 'old' style maps).

Given your other work, I am sure that the final piece will be beautiful.
    I hope you don't mind my nit picking the technical details.
    Last edited by atpollard; 01-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.