Thread: Unnamed World (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It looks good, the only problem that comes to mind right off the bat is that when I first looked at the map, I thought the grey area was sea and the lighter, textured area on the left was land. I think the land border is partly to blame. On the right side of the white line you have a little bit of "burn" (I don't know precisely how to describe it ... the darker bits that look like a slight drop shadow) and that tricks my eye into seeing the land as lower than the sea.

And on the mountains you've got plate tectonics a bit wrong, it should go like this: Due to plate tectonics the southern continent ploughed into the northern one, folding and raising the mountains in the process. This kind of orogonesis (mountain-building) is basically a crumple zone - like when you drive a car into a wall - the edge gets scrunched up and lifted. Plate tectonics is the movement of the plates on the surface of the semi-molten magma due to the circulation of the magma - not the other way around. But the idea for how the mountains should look is correct.

Keep it up! I think it looks really interesting.

Guild Novice

I felt the exact same thing when I opened the map last night; it even took *me* a few seconds to orient myself - to figure out what is land and what is sea; I'll fiddle with it tonight after work - what might help if is if I could get the same effect as was done here, another thing I'm going to try to lighten the sea area to draw focus to the continent itself. The layer style for the coastline on my continent is what causes it's greyness so I'll take another look at that.

Thanks for the FYI on the mountains, - I haven't done geography since high school (about 12 years ago now, lol) nor did I pay attention while in class; perhaps it's time I refresh my memory.

Thanks